Links as footer notes (instead of inline)

Back in the day, before the new Discourse composer, the inserted links were added at the end of the post, not inline (se below).

Wonder if this can be re-enabled in any way, as writing a post with more than a couple of links will make the editing a little nightmareish.

1 Like

There’s a setting you can toggle for this, display footnotes inline:

Sam has recently turned it off on meta so it should follow that behaviour on here[1][2]

Or do you mean this style[3]

Or do you mean this style[^3]

[^3]: meta.discourse.org

1. I think ↩︎

2. or at least if you’re not on mobile Just checked on mobile and I see non-inline ones on there too :+1: ↩︎

3. meta.discourse.org ↩︎

2 Likes

@JammyDodger This is NOT related to footnotes per se, it’s purely for links. I think it’s about Reference-style Links.

Here is a more obvious example that it includes the preview and some explanations. As you can see, the second variant is much easier to read.

2 Likes

I did not know about these. :slight_smile:

This is NOT related to footnotes per se, it’s purely for links. I think it’s about Reference-style Links

Did they used to happen automatically?

Back in the day (like… 4-5 years ago)? Yes, that was the only option to enter links (when clicking on hyperlink icon or pressing ctrl+k). The link is then referenced by its index (but you can enter there whatever you’d want)

If you had multiple links and inserting a new link, the numbering was automagically updated.

Then the new editor came and this feature was gone :frowning:

1 Like