Links to topics in a subcategory are not displayed as topic titles

On my Discourse installation, URLs to many topics are no longer automatically converted to links displayed as the topic title. I believe this behavior may have started when I had to make all categories private (see Staged users getting user_linked emails - #4 by brechtm). However, all of my categories have the same permissions limited to the same group (trust level 1), so there is no security issue when displaying the topic titles.

The set of topics it still works for appears to be random; I haven’t been able to identify any pattern so far.

I’m at version 2.5.0.beta2 (eda8f319a2).

Possibly related: Private topic links are not displayed as topic titles

I believe that you’re right. If it were to pull those titles into posts then it would reveal your secret topic titles.

Change a category to read by everyone and see if the issue persists.

1 Like

Yes, that “fixes” it. However, that is not an option for me since since this would enable sending the user_linked emails again.

Though I maintain that this is a bug. Even links to topics in the same category aren’t transformed. And ideally it should also work for categories that have the same (or even compatible) permissions configured.

Well, it’s not for me to decide, but

You are not prevented from normal use. The links still work, they just don’t have the title in them, and the title is pretty clear from the slug anyway, is it not?

1 Like

By that definition, dropping all CSS styling from Discourse wouldn’t be considered a bug either. But I’m sure you’d agree that the experience would be quite uncomfortable :slight_smile:

My apologies if this came across as a demand for a fix. With open source projects, I just try to provide detailed bug reports, never counting too much on a fix materializing. It’s up to the maintainers to decide what to do with it.

1 Like

No offense taken! And perhaps those that have a say in what a bug is will take your view.

Security is annoying. What if someone created the topic in the secure category but then moved it to a public one? Then the topic title would be there for all to see! :wink:the

1 Like

This doesn’t sound like a bug, AFAIK in the past the guidance given was pretty much the response from Jay above.

Will need a member of the team to chip in and confirm/correct either way though.

1 Like

You can’t have your cake and eat it too. Either you make the categories public, or deal with the privacy issues around linking to topics in secure categories. Pick your poison.

3 Likes