Locations Plugin

HI,

I have a problem when a Test to select Map on dropdown menu I receive :

and error on inspect :

1 Like

Thanks for the report … we’ll look at this in time.

2 Likes

Can you screen shot that “dropdown” please - do you mean the legacy Hamburger menu or the new Dropdown menu?

In either case, I cannot reproduce this issue with latest Discourse and this plugin appears to be working fine with latest Discourse as of today.

Are you on latest?

this is the dropdown menu:

and the version of discourse :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, got it for now, make sure this is checked:

1 Like

Ok it’s good

One other question, this is for view the topic but if I wanted just view the user to have idea how many people are around me it’s possible ?

Sure, encourage users to record their location (doesn’t have to be exact), in Preferences → Profile. The link is on the User Map in the User Directory page

Recording your location is currently voluntary.

See the example map above: Locations Plugin - #875 by Richie

Hello

Has a track been found to resolve the error with the direct links to the map? (for subjects, the one for users is OK )

Great plugin, many thanks!

Stephane

Thank’s all work…

just another question, it’s possible to not show the location on button subject :

1 Like

I use this plugin and didn’t see any setting to disable it, so you could do it with CSS:

.location-details {
    display: none;
}
2 Likes

Are you linking from another site?

In any case, yes I had time to work on a fix and my PR is under review:

2 Likes

That is merged (thanks @angus)

Let me know how you get on.

2 Likes

I’m using the Locations plugin to add topic locations and seeing a few odd things:

1. The Country drop down menu/search field never finds anything. If I search for a location using the city/state fields and find a location the country field gets populated for that location, e.g. ‘us’, but if I subsequently try to search for ‘us’ it’s not found.

2. The coordinates fields are displayed with examples showing decimal places. If I enter a value, e.g. 38.1234, there’s a warning popup saying I should only enter valid values, with the closest being 38 and 39. That suggests that only integer values are permitted?

3. The coordinates don’t get stored, even if I enter valid integer values.

The plugin is showing as up-to-date. Have I got something wrong in my configuration?

1 Like

Thanks for the report, I’m working on some fixes.

1 Like

Chris, your feedback was valuable and I’ve been able to address all your points, I believe:

• FIX: Location Form: Country Code dropdown now populated
  • FIX: Location Form: Coordinates support restored, decimals now allowed again & tests added

This got broken in a “blind” (test-less) refactor recently. Apologies.

I’ve added some additional tests to cover the resolved issues so hopefully there is much less risk of this happening again.

Thanks Robert. I just upgraded the plugin and can confirm that all three issues look to be fixed. I’m also seeing some different problems with the map. I don’t know if these are related to each other, or in some way to the previous issues, but this is what I’m seeing. I apologise that at the moment I’m not able to give you a way to replicate all of these issues. I’ll continue trying to find a way to do this and will let you know if/when I find it.

1. Sometimes the markers for user and topic locations appear on the map but they aren’t clickable. Other times the markers are clickable and take you to the correct place.

2. Sometimes the map is rendered but no markers are displayed.

3. Sometimes the map can be scrolled around by click-holding the mouse and moving it. Other times I can’t do that. Sometimes I can move the map when it’s first displayed but then once I zoom in it becomes unmovable.

4. I’m also getting a 500 error sometimes when accessing the map. I think this is repeatable. It seems to happen when I’ve had one of the issues mentioned above and then I click refresh in the browser to try to clear things up. I get this error…

Oops

The software powering this discussion forum encountered an unexpected problem. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Detailed information about the error was logged, and an automatic notification generated. We’ll take a look at it.

No further action is necessary. However, if the error condition persists, you can provide additional detail, including steps to reproduce the error, by posting a discussion topic in the site’s feedback category.

I’ve attached the info/backtrace/env logs which might be useful.

backtrace.txt (8.7 KB)
env.txt (568 Bytes)
info.txt (1.7 KB)

1 Like

Hello Robert

Yes, the problem arises with a link from another site to the Topics map (or just by reloading this map).

I just installed your fix and the problem no longer occurs. It’s perfect.

Many thanks for your work :star_struck:

1 Like

Hello

Sorry I have a new feedback (but not one noted by @packman )

Since the update I have a display problem on the markers for topic locations ( not for user locations) → the tooltip labels are not displayed on some markers.

The problem only occurs on Android smartphone (not on Windows Chrome) and… randomly :roll_eyes:
A reload of the page will change the markers with the problem or fix it.

Here is an example :

https://forums.ffjdr.org/c/e-irl/14/l/map

I encourage everyone to test this plugin and Events which work together :smiley:

Stephane

That will be extremely hard to track down.

I will try to update to the latest Leaflet library at some point and we can see if that helps.

I’m not sure if this is happening as a result of the last set of fixes but each new topic created by someone who has their location defined in their profile is being marked with their location. Perhaps this didn’t happen previously because our locations hadn’t been properly saved? I’ve looked for a config option to prevent this but can’t see one.

I do want users to be able to mark some topics with a location where a location is relevant to the topic, but not every new topic.