Locations Plugin

argh!
an old bug returned —> Map route issues
The problem arises with a link from another site to the Topics map

Discovered by sharing the map link outside the forum.

KO :
https://forums.ffjdr.org/c/e-irl/14/l/map

OK :

…then clic on “Carte” ( map in French )

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

thanks @Stephane_Roy, I believe I’ve resolved this, let me know if I’ve missed a scenario:

3 Likes

hello, update made last night.

Everything looks ok on the map and the agenda.
The direct link here now displays the magnificent modernized map👌

The new year is off to a good start thanks to @merefield :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Has anyone noticed something weird about the plugin or maybe the mapping providers lately? we haven’t updated the plugin or Discourse for more than half a year, but in the last month or so often times when we try to enter a legit address, the following will be returned:

We are using v6.2.11 and Mapquest. anyone else encounters this issue? We want to see if there are others experiencing the same before updating the plugin or changing the mapping provider.

Hello

For my part, no problems with the Location and mapping provider plugin.

The site is on one of the latest versions of Discourse and the latest version of the plugin.

Given your error (and your stable configuration) it could come from your mapping provider.

I advise you :

• to check the mapping provider logs (web console, weekly email, etc.)

• to test with LocationIQ. Registering for the free offer is very simple.

Good luck.

Discourse: 3.2.0.beta5-dev

Location plugin: 6.6.3

Map provider: LocationIQ

Web site: https://forums.ffjdr.org/c/e-irl/l/agenda

3 Likes

Thanks. It turns out Mapquest revoked the API key because their Mapquest Go plan which has a free number of API calls, now requires a payment method on file. I don’t think we ever provided the payment method.

The email from Mapquest regarding Mapquest Go, which I missed: (Eligible for discontinued service :rofl: :rofl: …)

**What You Need to Do****:** To continue using our services, please take a moment to update your account with a valid credit card. This will ensure a seamless transition to the new Pay-As-You-Go billing model. If you do not provide a valid payment method, your account is eligible for discontinued service starting January 15th, 2024.

We switched to Location IQ.

Appreciate the suggestion.

That has to be the most hilarious way I’ve seen a company say that they’re discontinuing a service. Makes it sound almost like a good thing :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Hello

How can I hide the link “User Map” from the sidebar menu ?
I already have “Members” and people can go the “map view” from here.
I tried to disable the “location sidebar menu map link” but it didn’t work. I mean, when I enable it, I have a second link that appears, and when I disable it, I still have my first “User map” link that I wand to remove.

Are you on the latest version of the plugin? I recall this being an issue in the past.

Also, it could be that you have an old link in the customisable part of the sidebar that simply needs to be deleted.

Last, if desperate, you should be able to hide it with this CSS in your Theme:

// hide the users map link
.sidebar-container li[data-list-item-name="users map"] {
    display: none;
}
1 Like

I would accept a PR to make this a new setting, but this default behaviour still needs to be there so it’s, by default, discoverable.

A setting that you can switch off makes complete sense.

Hello

My version is the 6.6.1 and I don’t have any message inviting me to update. Is that the last version ?

In the sidebar section this link is even not listed so I can’t remove it manually.

What do you think ? Need to pass by CSS ?

The strange thing is that there is an option to enable/disable “location sidebar menu map link” but when you enable it it creates a second link in the menu, with exactly the same behaviour as the first. And this toggle already works well to hide/show it. So it seems more like a bug

1 Like

Oh. I’ll take a look. Thanks for the report. Apologies for any confusion.

OK you are referring to a different setting.

Such a setting for User Map does not exist.

Once User Map is activated, a link is added.

The setting you are referring to controls the Topic Map link visibility.

So my advice remains the same, PR welcome. It would certainly be nice to have a link visibility setting for both, not just the Topic Map.

If this is really important to you and you don’t have the development resources, you can reach out to fund Pavilion to have this done for you.

1 Like

Our members map is taking 9 seconds or so to load these days, is there anything we can check? :thinking:

Hello

What is your “location map tile layer”?

It appears to be a server issue: either yours or that of the “location map tile layer”.

On my end, there are no issues with a self-hosted Discourse and the latest version of the plugin.
Here: Forums FFJdR

Hi :wave:t2:

The map does eventually display, but it takes 9 or 10 seconds.

We’re using Mapbox for the “location map tile layer” setting:

https://api.mapbox.com/styles/v1/mapbox/outdoors-v11/tiles/{z}/{x}/{y}?access_token=[REMOVED]

Does it make a difference if you halve SiteSetting.location_users_map_limit?

Hi @merefield

If I set it to 100 the map loads in 1s.

1000 = 4s

1500 = 7s

2000 = 8s+

It’s looking like we’re outgrowing it :cry:

Fyi, we have 2,538 members that have opted in to the map.

Let’s see if it’s the local client or the server.

https://mysite.com/directory_items.json?period=location

How does that query respond?