I was hoping Discourse could log invalid login attempts to file, even if it is something you have to configure to do so. Then I could create a custom filter and jail for discourse

I use a centralized fail2ban server. the way it works is all my Containers, Docker images, VMs have a custom ban action:

in fail2ban you specify the action to take in your jail, such as:
action = iptables-allports

then all you have to do is edit that action:
sudo nano /etc/fail2ban/action.d/iptables-allports.conf

actionban = <iptables> -I f2b-<name> 1 -s <ip> -j <blocktype>
      curl -s "https://fail2ban.YourDomain.com:35553/fail2ban.php?token=D2f3Ydy45f6y5FRTfyeFrtYErt&action=add&source=TEST_HOST&reason=TEST_FILTER&ip=111.222.333.444"

With this setup your container/docker/vm will fail2ban them locally, but it will also relay this information to your central fail2ban server. The central server can also take all collected IPs and make them available as txt banlist such as: https://fail2ban.YourDomain.com/banned.txt

Then you can have your pfsense firewall subscribe to this banlist, and you can even share the list with other pfsense routers. This way if they try breaking in on one application, they get banned from everything. This has worked great for me for years.

And all that I need to implement this for discourse is for discourse to write an entry to a log file when there is an invalid login attempt :slight_smile:

1 Like

did you figure out how to hook or log this?

Thanks

1 Like

Bump. This seems like a very good idea!

Where does Discourse store and show logs?

The NGINX logs
Occasionally NGINX logs may contain some extra tips, they are located at:

cd /var/discourse
./launcher enter app
cd /var/log/nginx
The files access.log and error.log will be there as well as a bunch of rotated compressed files. Running less access.log.2.gz will automatically decompress and display the logfile for you.

This directory is also available on the host at /var/discourse/shared/standalone/log/var-log/nginx .

Unfortunately, the nginx error.log and access.log files do not log any invalid login attempts.

Can anyone suggest another avenue?

Thank you.

1 Like

Agree. It would be great to hook into a fail2ban kind of automated exponential backoff.

1 Like