Login with Telegram

Are there any plans for integrating Telegram Login as an OAuth provider? Or someone that could do a plugin? :sweat_smile:

It has been released today, I tested and it’s really practical:

19 Likes

I attach some screenshots of how it works:

5 Likes

To be precise it’s not an implementation of the oauth protocol. Very interesting anyway.

2 Likes

By the way, I’ve implemented Discourse SSO provider for Telegram Login, basing on the code from my SAML SSO provider:

https://github.com/kirushik/discourse_telegram_auth/

Also available from DockerHub, docker pull kirushik/discourse_telegram_auth.

Currently it’s completely untested, and lacks any documentation — but bugreports and feature requests are welcome.

10 Likes

Any preview or demo? :sweat_smile:

Well, it’s available on the forum I’ve written it for — but it’s a special-interest group in Russian, so I don’t think sharing it here will be a good idea.

Meanwhile, using Telegram as SSO provider is not what most people want — so I think I’d spend some time turning my code in a proper auth plugin…

4 Likes

It would be great if something like that could be implemented. I.e. login/signup on Discourse site thru telegram.
I’ve found that normal users are not able to login/signup to my forum simply because they never remember their emails ID and PWs. They just get someone to create an email account when they setup their new android phone, and then afterwards they never sign out or sign in to the same.

1 Like

Any progress there, just in case?
I was interested in making our site users to be able to create account and login thru telegram. This way they can dispense with email id/pw, and can create account and login with just their mobile number (and telegram app).

I’m also curious on this. Has anyone set it up successfully? I see both forks have not received updates since April of 2018.

1 Like

Would love to see this working, we have over 200,000 subscribers on Telegram and this would help us a lot.

1 Like

Love this project, is it still going well?

Well, the code is still there, and nothing should be broken in it (give or take the outdated and potentially vulnerable dependencies).
I no longer believe that abusing Discourse’s SSO APIs for logging in with Telegram is the right way to go, though (thus the repo is archived).

Much better solution would be a plugin adding a Telegram button to the supported auth options on the login popup/screen — but this would require quite a different approach, and I’m not aware of anyone trying to do this (even if it is 100% possible, and I remember seeing other plugins with similar functionality using other login networks somewhere out there)

4 Likes

I’ve got a v1 up and running here:

8 Likes

I am getting problem

signature mismatch faliure in signup

@mjsir911 do you intend to continue working on this plug-in? Besides the issues mentioned in the github rep that would be great to have the ability to fetch the uniqueid and not the Name field, and the username. Useful for a future flow. I can set it as a job in the marketplace if anyone is up for it.

2 Likes

Hello! I want to thank @mjsir911 for the much-needed and wonderful plugin :raised_hands:

I agree with you @Mr.X_Mr.X. I also wanted to ask @mjsir911 how can I remove the line for entering an email address when registering through a Telegram bot? In my case, I chose this plugin so that people don’t have to go through extra steps (especially entering their email address) to register. When I was going to install this plugin, I was sure that email would not be requested :frowning:

I got it to work! :raised_hands:t2:

But, when I click “Log in with Telegram” on Discourse, I get sent to mysite.com/auth/telegram - and it looks like this:

Do you know if that site is set from the plugin or what? I can’t edit the CSS either, as the page is outside the scope of themes…

Is this still working? I don’t get the login button anymore

I have troubles with making this work, can someone update if it’s working?

1 Like