Make topic a global banner for n period of time when created in a category

This would be great for communities that have very critical announcements that need to be seen by the entire community, regardless of where they find themselves.

We have an integration between our SaaS platform’s status page and a category in Discourse. When there’s an incident on the status page, a new topic is created in a category so our users can be notified, discuss the incident, etc.

It would be great when this topic is automatically created for it to be made visible globally for a period of time.

2 Likes

i think this may be possible with the Discourse Automation plugin :thinking:

1 Like

I’ve been trying to find a way with automation for a while, but the only trigger to make a banner topic is by time.

1 Like

If you make everyone watch that category, they’ll get a notification when something is posted on that category.

Seems like an edge case. A plugin wouldn’t be hard to do.

Looks like automation has only Post created/edited, so you could post those updates to a (perhaps unlisted or unreadable) topic instead of, or in addition to the category.

A feature request for am automation trigger of new topic in category seems like it could be a reasonable request.

2 Likes

Great point for default notifications—I do have that setup, but thought that I would also make it a banner for users who are not logged in to see.

2 Likes