Making an open game (-community): Fish Fight

As mentioned in my re-introduction, 50% of my time nowadays is spent as an indie game developer. My main project right now is called Fish Fight, and we released our very first Good Enough :tm: trailer for it just now :tada: :space_invader: :tv:

Along with the trailer we’ve also published our first devlog, explaining where we’re coming from and where we’re headed:

The game is being developed according to a simple thesis:

In short, I’m convinced it’s possible to make a high quality commercial game that is also open source, just like your favorite discussion platform! :heart: :discourse:

We intend to make it so easy to contribute to the game as a modder (scripting, pixel art, level editing) that it’s easy to get involved at the very beginning of your game development journey. It’s kind of a commercial (i.e. self-sustaining) spin on Unity’s Open Projects.

In 1-2 months we’ll be going fully public with our Discord channel (:eyes:) and GitHub repo, opening our doors to anyone interested in getting involved. Projects like Fish Fight are going to serve as hands-on case studies for the TBA* product management role I’ll be inhabiting at Discourse.
* It’s not often I get to play the secrecy game in open source, so please indulge me for a little while longer (:

The best way anyone can lend a hand right now is with a simple click on our tweet or /r/IndieDev post up top. :point_up: Every click means a lot, as it helps us make our case for all sorts of prospective partners.

We have high confidence in our ability to get this game to Done and published without external assistance. However, having already stated our intent to be open source, we may as well see if there’s a publisher out there that isn’t put off by our open approach, and might even see the same immense potential that we see in bringing open source practices to commercial game development and modding.

19 Likes