Members have posted but are not listed in /u

Hi, still learning Discourse admin, but I know this forum is gentle with newbs :slight_smile:

I have a new instance at www.cooperating-in-chiswick.uk.

Users Georgi44 and Cynthia have posted for the first time (here and here), but neither is listed at www.cooperating-in-chiswick.uk/u

Can anyone let me know why that might be? Thanks in advance

3 Likes

That view isn’t live, as far as I know the stats aren’t displayed in real-time.

If you look at the dates in the timeframe given at the top of the screen it should be up until yesterday’s date.

4 Likes

Good spot! However, most of the dropdown timeframes end with yesterday’s date. But “all time” does not. And amongst those users that are listed are those who joined X hours ago, where X is less than the current hours into today.

:thinking:

3 Likes

It’s updated with a daily batch process, that will have occurred sometime during the current day.

Relax, put your feet up, have a cup of tea and check it later, perhaps tomorrow :wink:

5 Likes

May check when Greg reaches 11 to 12 hours. Youngest member listed in user list is 11 hours.

2 Likes

Found another possibility they might have:

1 Like

They both appear in the today view now.

As previously stated it’s not a live view, sidekiq hadn’t processed the data for Sunday at the time OP had posted.

3 Likes

Given that this has come up three times on meta (I’m fairly confident it has), I wonder if we should put some kind of disclaimer on the page – either for staff only, or for everyone – about the daily refresh.

7 Likes

I don’t think we send the “last updated at” details to the client, but if we did, I think there’s some benefit to displaying that information to both users and staff. We can tone it down a bit and make sure it’s placed somewhere where it can’t be missed, like right underneath the period select-kit.

This not a new pattern. We already have something similar in the

Some advice based on your current site settings

section in the admin dashboard.

13 Likes

I like this idea very much, can we assign it Monday @eviltrout? I assume it’s fairly easy based on what I’ve seen in the mocks? I’d like the reduced tech support…

5 Likes

Thanks @Stephen … but five hours after your post here I still can’t see either of them at /u in my desktop browser, a fresh desktop browser, or in my phone’s browser. Weird.

2 Likes

If I were to report mine, only five users show up in the all time view of my site. I have over 270 registered users as at today.

What users directory shows

Correct number of registered users I have from the About page

Due to this, I have to disable user directory so it doesn’t look like a kind of fraud on my part when users visit users all time directory and only five users show up.

3 Likes

I couldn’t get it to look exactly as tight as @Johani’s mockups because the period chooser has some built in vertical size but I got reasonably close:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/db35baba26946d327a104fe6507857913242649e

If someone better at CSS than me wants to take a quick pass at it I wouldn’t complain :wink:

9 Likes

That is very odd @habeycole. Are you identifying this as a bug?

1 Like

Made few minor fixes to the UX, so it looks almost as sharp as @Johani’s mockup:

Also made sure it looks as nice on mobile:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/9322

5 Likes

@sheldrake. Yes, it is a bug. And my Discourse instance is very up to date. I’m on the latest version 2.5 beta 2. I noticed that since August last year but just resorted to hiding users directory since I don’t even want same to be available for viewing by others.

Have you verified that even in safe mode it only shows an incomplete count? I would do that and try disabling all plugins, it needs to occur with zero additional code to be something we can readily troubleshoot.

A bug would be something affecting all instances of Discourse. Yours is the only one I’m aware of that exhibits this. If it began in August last year it may be a plugin or other customization that’s responsible.

2 Likes

Hello @Stephen, thanks for your reply.

On safe mode, it is still the same result, reason why I classified it as a bug. Please see attached screenshot below :point_down: