Migrate a phpBB3 forum to Discourse

I put them in with no difference.

Not sure if these are errors from being pasted or if thatā€™s how it actually is in your yml file, but those would cause issues. (Line breaks near the end of some comments, causing a second, un-commented, line to exist)

Your list items arenā€™t indented correctly.

The above should be

new_categories: 
    - forum_id: general
      name: General

I recommend using https://www.yamllint.com/ to validate your config file.

3 Likes

Thank you for all of your replies. I quickly figured out that editing settings.yml outside of the import container, didnā€™t effect what was running. I also figured out about the yml whitespace, and corrected my settings file. Anyhow, the import of the phpBB forum went well, exceptā€¦

My username on the phpBB was the same as my admin account on Discourse. I canā€™t log in, and thereā€™s a message that:

All outgoing email has been globally disabled by an administrator. No email notifications of any kind will be sent.

As a result, I canā€™t get a reset password email sent. Is this a database setting? And if so, can I update that field using the limited resources of the container? Any other ideas?

Note that I have the migratepassword plugin installed, but that doesnā€™t seem to work (perhaps because my password was less than 15 characters)

You can enable emails for admin users from the rails console:

./launcher enter import
rails c
> SiteSetting.disable_emails = "non-staff"

You can also reset your password directly from the container, no need to use emails, by running:

./launcher enter import
rake admin:create
2 Likes