Mobile editor emoji is drawn off-screen

Reproduce: Using latest Chrome on Android, start a new topic or reply to one.

Expected: Emoji picker draws completely regardless of where the cursor is.

Actual: If the cursor is at the right edge, the picker is drawn off-screen. See image below.

1 Like

It would be nice if we could just give the whole screen to the textbox on mobile, like native apps are able to. That would basically end all of the screen space problems.

There’s a good part of the used space there that isn’t needed when you’re writing, but is needed when you’re reviewing before you submit. For example, the “Reply” button.

1 Like

You mean there’s supposed to be an icon to click for emojis? No wonder I used the keyboard’s emoji selector for this reply.

Was that fixed? I don’t have an Android phone to verify.

Nope. I guess the pop-up should be a “pop-down”.

4 Likes

My favorite fix for mobile is still just remapping emoji unicode.

2 Likes

That would be nice but it would miss custom emoji.

2 Likes

This was annoying me quite abit on mobile so I decided to bang my head against the wall dive into this.

Any thoughts?

7 Likes

That looks awesome :+1:

:heart: :heart_decoration: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes_cat: :heartbeat:

2 Likes

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/3727

This PR makes autocomplete usable on mobile but I don’t think it is perfect and it is hard to make it perfect.

I agree with @riking that the better approach is to make the composer full screen on mobile which will probably make our life easier.

2 Likes

That’s my plan I want a full screen composer on mobile

2 Likes

How will this full screen composer be different from what we have now?
This is how it looks on my Nexus 5 when I’m creating a topic or posting a reply.

2 Likes

10 posts were split to a new topic: Fullscreen composer for mobile

@downey @gerhard How is the new autocomplete popup working for you? I’ve been dog fooding it and it is working well for me. :smile:

Works quite well. :thumbsup:

The only problem I’ve seen so far is that the username popup doesn’t show up if I type @ after a line break. I have to enter something else after the @, then hit backspace to get the popup. But I guess that’s some weird bug on Chrome/Android.

1 Like

Yea thats due to https://meta.discourse.org/t/mention-menu-not-updated-on-android-mobile/32827

3 Likes