Moderator Permissions to Modify Guidelines?

Is it the case that by default only admins can modify the site Guidelines document? This is what my mod is telling me.

If so, is there a way to change this so mods can modify it?

4 Likes

To make it simple, as I doubt it will get modified often, make a copy available to them to change, then you copy/paste back to its home?

3 Likes

I’m not sure, but the Guidelines is a topic created in the Staff category. I think it can be moved to another category, one where mods can change it. You can try it out. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

But why, would moving it out of the staff category make it more accessible to the staff? Are staff not allowed to modify posts in staff?

1 Like

I thought you were a normal user, and a mod was telling you this, in which case the only way for a non-staff user to edit the guidelines might be to move it.

In case you are a staff member expecting all staff members the ability to edit the guidelines, that is reasonable and how it works. Perhaps there is a bug, or perhaps a different setting at work (such as edit timeouts; I don’t have mods, I don’t know how their “powers” work, per se).

I would expect admins and mods to be able to edit the document.

1 Like

Yep sorryI was unclear.

I am admin, and my mods are telling me they can’t modify the doc. Maybe I’ll try to impersonate to make sure.

And now I have confirmed it – I impersonated my moderator and sure enough, there’s no pencil icon to modify the guidelines. Is this because system created it? How can I relax this?

2 Likes

Did you find a way?

Very weird indeed thatmoderators can see a “press here to edit” link that takes them to the actual post, but can not edit the actual post.

It looks like you could circomvent that by turning it into a wiki, editing it and turning it into a regular post again but I haven’t tried that.