Allow non-admin to edit category logo, details

Hi

I cannot find any documentation to allow users to edit their category logo without being an admin.

Is this possible? We have clans in our game and wanted to let the leader(s) of the clan to edit their own category logo, description etc.

We would rather avoid making them admins if possible, this is the only elevated privilege they should have.

1 Like

Haven’t looked into this, but I thought there was a setting that allows moderators to create new categories. I suppose they could change settings then as well.

I tried giving moderator status to a test user and it didnt help.

It only allowed them to edit categories when given full admin status

Do you have this on?

3 Likes

Thanks, turning that on did allow the moderators to edit categories as we need them to.

However it’s preferred that they aren’t able to create new categories. If there’s a way to keep these things separate, and honestly I thought this would be more clearly documented, I would prefer that.

Well, you could make that a feature request. Until then I suppose you tell your moderators to stay away from creating new categories. As long as you don’t have dozens of moderators, that should be doable.

4 Likes

To be fair it should have been there by default, it doesn’t seem like this system has been thought through very well, but will do when I have time.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it

Er… you’re here for about two months now and if you look around, you’d notice Discourse is fully in active development. If there something you don’t like, tell about it, make suggestions, submit PRs, etc.

1 Like

The account is two months old.

User roles and permissions are pretty basic imo.

Glad you see it that way. Looking forward to a PR. :wink:

1 Like

Some of us have multiple projects already. I’m sure there are many capable developers who can implement a user permission system

There are, but are you willing to pay for it? :wink: Getting stuff for free is pretty nice, isn’t it?

7 Likes

To build upon this reasonable thought–

An admin should not make someone a moderator if no trust exists with that someone. Through experience, I understand this includes heads of clans/factions in a game. They became the leader for a sound reason, in theory.

One of those “common sense” things easily applied to most instances.

2 Likes

Allowing moderators to create (and thus to edit) categories is not at all the same as the OP “Allow non-admin to edit category logo, details”.

Even if it was an additional option to “Allow moderators to edit categories” that wouldn’t cut the mustard as you would have to make someone a global moderator to allow them to edit one category.

What is needed is a function analogous to the owner of a group. Owner of a category who can moderate posts and edit category details.

I applaud the presumption that you can trust users, but on the other hand it is always a security risk to give a user more permissions than he needs.

1 Like