More consistency in reply-indicator

Continuing the discussion from Moving post-specific reply indicator into the editor:

Okay, you made some good points there, so I’m gonna flip-flop completely and suggest a milder UX change instead, focusing on this:

I think when you reply to someone’s post, the Editor Header should just tack on that person’s name, instead of changing the header entirely:

If you quote other people in that same post, those people are tacked on up there.

Furthermore, there’s actually an inconsistency in the UX with regards to replies:

• If I start an empty Reply to OP immediately followed by quoting someone’s post, the Editor header doesn’t change.
  • However, if instead of quoting someone after I’ve opened the editor I do it before, (i.e. the quote action opens the editor), the header will now tell me that I’m replying directly to that person.

I think this method of “tacking on” the user(s) you’re specifically addressing would more effectively teach new users how Discourse handles replies.

Would not fit on mobile, unfortunately. Also buries the lede IMO.

I like the motivation behind these ideas. How about applying a style to the post you’re replying to? A subtle highlight would let you know that you’re doing something to that post, rather than the thread at large.

4 Likes