Continuing the discussion from:
- Visual distinction between reply to last comment and reply to original post,
- Adopt mobile styling for post-reply button
I’d like to propose a solution that builds on my suggestion from “A lot of weirdness caused by moving posts around”. (A similar solution was implemented in Flarum, except it used a unique post-ID instead of a post:topic combo.)
The idea being that if the “Reply (-to specific post”) button was just a special forum syntax instead of a unique UI element, it’d come with a lot of wins:
- Less “magic”; it’s just part of the editor and the universal concept of linking.
- Can reply to multiple posts
- Replies are easily changed or unlinked entirely by simply removing the link
- The logic for Replies is more aligned with Quotes
So when you click on the “Reply” button, you’d get something like this in your editor:
Which would look like this in the preview:
My hypothesis is that this more effectively communicates that there’s nothing special about your reply - It won’t start a nested sub-thread or anything - besides the fact that you’re mentioning this specific user’s post.
p.s. I’m putting this in Feature instead of UX because implementing this goes beyond pixel pushing.