Moving a sub-category to its own category

(Chris Sorrows) #1

I have a sub-category that is getting out of control. The posts are on a very broad range of topics. I would love to be able to move this sub-category out of its parent to make it its own category to enable me to filter topics into their own sub-categories. I only see an option to change the parent. Am I missing something?

I could create a new topic then move the posts but I really don’t want to break all the existing search engine links and linked topics.

(Jay Pfaffman) #2

Do you not see “No category” as one of the parent categories?

(Chris Sorrows) #3

Thanks for the reply. No, I do not get that option.

(Chris Sorrows) #4

@codinghorror, why did you change “it’s” in the title to “its”. “It” ownes the category and the ’ is used to show possession.

Edit: I just looked it up, both forms of the word are correct. I left it as your version.

Edit2: I was completely wrong.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

No, “it’s” is incorrect here. It is also incorrect in several places in your first post but I left those.

(Chris Sorrows) #6

Haha, thanks for the lesson man. I have some reading to do.

I was exactly backward in the usage actually.

(Felix Freiberger) #7

That’s very weird! Can you open the parent category dropdown and post a screenshot of the page?

(Chris Sorrows) #8

Sure. I will post it when I get home tonight. Thank you for taking the time to try to help.

(Chris Sorrows) #9

Here is the top of the list

and the bottom of the list

(Felix Freiberger) #10

What happens when you select Select a category... and save?

(Chris Sorrows) #11

I have been scared to to that… I’ll make a backup then try. Be right back…

(Chris Sorrows) #12

OMG that worked. Thanks for the help. Do you know if all the posts have been symlinked to the new location?

Edit: I just tested a few links and they still work. My community thanks you @fefrei!

(Felix Freiberger) #13

No links should be necessary – the URLs for topics are not specific to the category the post is in :slight_smile:

This text might need some editing – in the German translation, I see something like “no category” as the top entry, which makes a lot more sense…

(Chris Sorrows) #14

Ahh, got ya.

I did notice another issue though, latest posts for the moved category are still listed under the old parent. Is there a way to refresh this or just wait until it gets populated with new ones?

(Jeff Atwood) #15

Did you rename or otherwise mess with “uncategorized”?

(Chris Sorrows) #16

Not that I am aware, I just removed its parent.

(Chris Sorrows) #17

Oh, do you mean the parent in the stock build? I’m trying to remember back when I built the forum. I do not have a category named “uncategorized” if that is what you are asking.

Edit: I started a new thread for this new issue. Thanks for the help!