Moving from S3 to Spaces

I’m trying to figure out a Low-Risk strategy to move from AWS S3 to DO Spaces for Backup and uploads, Initially I am thinking of doing it the ‘long’ way i.e.:

Migrating uploads to local
Removing old S3 Config
Adding new DO Spaces Config
Migrating to Spaces

Alternative path can be to spin up an alternative container and setting it up to use DO Spaces but I think that importing a backup into it will simply override the settings and connect it to S3 once again.

But I’m curious to know if there is a short cut way to do the same using some tool like S3CMD to move assets from S3 to DO and simply changing the settings to link up to DO?

Any ideas about it? What can be potential scares?

3 Likes

Bhanu, what’s your driver for moving?

Experimentation primarily

Then cost effectiveness.

1 Like

My AWS free tier comes to an end soon … need to think about these things too!

1 Like

Mine has expired recently so Iooking for some cost cutting.

1 Like

Did you try How To Migrate from Amazon S3 to DigitalOcean Spaces with rclone | DigitalOcean first?

4 Likes

I have in past migrated data from S3 to Spaces using S3CMD and I assume it will go through just fine with rclone as well! What I’m more concerned about is rewrites here! Specifically because currently I’m using S3 in addition with CloudFront but I plan to switching to Google Cloud CDN or fastly once my assets have been migrated.

2 Likes

Update: I Moved uploads to local today and the first thing that I’ve come across is that assets (despite being migrated from s3 to local) are taking a long time to be served locally. I don’t want to risk breaking things so presumably I’ll have to wait a few hours until all the uploads are being served from my forum then only I can proceed to setting up DO Spaces!

It doesn’t look like digitalocean is very good at running ceph (the software that they use for spaces). Their ams3 data center’s cluster is pretty broken now. Backups fairly regularly time out. I was very hopeful about this product but am not recommending it at right now.

3 Likes

Agreed, I’d recommend S3 over Spaces for sanity reasons too. I’ve had latency issues with DO Spaces which isn’t the case where I use the S3+CloudFront set up that powers our forum.

3 Likes