Moving to a smaller DO droplet and to tests-passed

I noticed that our forum which is currently “in production”, i.e. publicly available and in the use of its intended audience, seems to be in the beta development fork. Or actually I’m not sure, if it is. Its version is: v1.9.0.beta17 +95 Maybe that means it is already in tests-passed and not the main? If this is so, then this post is quite possibly unnecessary…

My question was: how to move from old 1GB Digital Ocean droplet into new 1GB DO Droplet and at the same time move to tests-passed… (Edit: I think there was some checks that the version number of the backup matches…)

My new question is: how do I check that I’m in the proper fork that I should be in? (Also: which should I be in?)

Edit: maybe the branch I should deploy for production is stable instead of tests-passed?

That’s the tests-passed version, that’s recommended for most folks. It gets all of the updates and latest features.

Since the disk size is smaller on the new 1GB droplet, you can’t just resize it. What you need to do is create a new droplet, install Discourse , download a backup from the old server, update your dns, restore the backup to the new one.

The other way to go is to resize to the new 2GB droplet and run discourse-setup to change the memory settings to take advantage of the additional RAM.

5 Likes

Thank you for the advice. I’ve reinstalled Discourse from a backup before, and I know how to do that. Because I thought I would have to switch from my current branch to something else, I came asking for help.

We have a very small NGO behind our forum - its only form of activity being the forum - and getting the costs down is really good, so I think we’re going to downsize a bit.

Thank you for the advice!

1 Like

If you want stable, then using something like pico, In your app.yml, look for this line:

## Which Git revision should this container use? (default: tests-passed)
  #version: tests-passed

And make it look like

version: stable

Just delete the # from that line and change it to stable. If you have the wrong number of spaces ahead of the version it’ll break.

1 Like

I think I’ll stick with tests-passed for now. Thanks for all the help!

2 Likes