Discourse "upgrade" to stable failed

Hello,

I had initially installed Discourse from Docker but have now decided to change it to testing by changing to version: stable in app.yml and doing launcher rebuild app, all based the instructions here.

Right now I’m getting the error:
ups::ExecError: cd /var/www/discourse && su discourse -c 'bundle exec rake asse ts:precompile' failed with return #<Process::Status: pid 17372 exit 1> Location of failure: /pups/lib/pups/exec_command.rb:112:in spawn’
exec failed with the params {“cd”=>"$home", “hook”=>“assets_precompile”, “cmd”=>
[“su discourse -c ‘bundle exec rake assets:precompile’”]}
f49bc61d1093d5cbacb2ae580f6ffa32e78c889337aa0c3b3347c514ce2eee93
** FAILED TO BOOTSTRAP ** please scroll up and look for earlier error messages,
there may be more than one.`

Any help would be appreciated.

Best Regards
Mishari

1 Like

First, you need to do this.

2 Likes

Hi mishari welcome to the forum.

Are you by any chance going to an earlier version? Unless things have changed unawares, trying to change to an earlier stable version from a later tests passed version is a bane.

Kind of like “you need to hop on the train while it’s at the station”. I don’t know how others determine the best time after the stable version release. Keep checking for it?

2 Likes

You can only from ‘beta’ or ‘tests-passed’ to ‘stable’ on the same minor release or higher.

So you can go from 2.3.x.betaX to latest stable (2.3.8), but not from 2.4.0.betaX because there is no stable release with a 2.4.x version number yet.

If you’re on 2.4.0.beta you need to wait until 2.4.0 stable is released (I guess in a few weeks from now) and then switch to stable. Make sure you don’t accidentally update before switching the branches because you will end up at 2.5.0.beta1 and you will need to wait for another 5 or 6 months!

6 Likes

Thank you. I’ll switch from test-passed to beta which hopefully is a bit less hairy, then move to stable.

As an aside, isn’t this a bit of an issue if “install a cloud server in 30 minutes” results in installations based on the test-passed branch instead of stable? Where can I go to raise this issue to propose that a sane default for this would be a stable branch?

Best Regards
Mishari

2 Likes

The default is very intentionally tests-passed, and there are no plans to change that. Feel free to search here on Meta for details on why this is the case, as well as details on what the stable branch is (spoiler: it’s not 100% bug free).

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.