Multisite installation with seperated smtp emails

I followed this post to setup doctor multisites.

but how to configure different smtp email settings for different sites?

2 Likes

I tried this as well and couldn’t get the second site to use different settings from the first site.

Perhaps @sam could offer an opinion, if this is a known bug or something else.

We don’t support multiple outgoing SMTP servers in multisite

2 Likes

Thanks for the answer. Is this something you would consider given a pull request? Does it make sense to invest time in?

1 Like

Sure, if you can pull it off, its pretty complicated, but I would be open to have a PR for it and would kind of prefer if email settings were in site settings as long as they can be shadowed by globals.

1 Like

Hi @sam,

Might there be potential for some funding if I were to implement this feature? We’re currently looking into getting an MVP grant from our government (https://www.nsw.gov.au/grants-and-funding/mvp-ventures-program) and any funding you provide we would be able to get the government to $1 for $1 match it, which would be amazing :slight_smile:.

Cheers,
Simon

Can you specify in detail all the changes being proposed?

1 Like

Hi @sam,

I actually just realised, that if I choose to not set the following environment variable:

DISCOURSE_NOTIFICATION_EMAIL

Within the app.yml, then the following configuration item appears within settings:

And I can use that to have exactly the effect I desired.

Thanks @sam for having been open to the potential of this :slight_smile:, but looks like won’t be needing a PR this time round.

2 Likes

Maximum / best:

• possibility to override all SMTP configuration variables per site in multisite configuration
    • DISCOURSE_SMTP_ADDRESS
    • DISCOURSE_SMTP_PORT
    • DISCOURSE_SMTP_USER_NAME
    • DISCOURSE_SMTP_PASSWORD
    • DISCOURSE_SMTP_ENABLE_START_TLS
    • DISCOURSE_SMTP_DOMAIN

Minimum:

• Possibility to override the following SMTP related variables per site
    • DISCOURSE_SMTP_USER_NAME
    • DISCOURSE_SMTP_PASSWORD

in their config/multisite.yml equivalents

Background for minimum: given no other choices I can set things up to live with one SMTP server but surely need separate SMTP users (senders). Sending mail from address in a different domain than the discourse site runs on looks unfortunately like a deal breaker

1 Like