Mute tag in settings seems to be broken? The muted tag topics still show up in the /latest

The “default tags muted” setting together with “remove muted tags from latest” doesn’t seem to work.

The users can still view the muted tag topic in the /latest.

Could anyone pls check and confirm if this is broken?

@vinothkannans is testing out some issues with the new feature.

Vinoth any ideas here?

3 Likes

You may not applied the “default tags muted” site setting historically for all users. Please check whether existing users have the muted tags in preferences page (/u/USERNAME/preferences/tags) or not.

1 Like

This is my current setting. I was expecting that if I add “expired” tag and mute it, the topics tagged with “expired” will not appear in the /latest topic list.

What am I doing wrong here:

1 Like

Default though only applies to new accounts not existing ones.

Try removing the mute and re-adding it:

Then this will show up… click Yes

2 Likes

I was expecting the topics muted for “expired” tag for non-logged in users. So, this doesn’t work for users who are not logged in?

I want to exclude few topics not to appear in the topic list (/latest) for all users both logged in and non-logged in users.

Could you help me with the setting.

Thanks

We should probably change it so default mute applies to anonymous @vinothkannans

2 Likes

Where can I find the option to mute specific tags for “anonymous” users.

I can’t find this in the tags settings :frowning:

If this feature needs to be developed, I think it will be a great addition to exclude topics for specific tags to not to appear in the /latest , /new topic lists for all users (including anonymous users).

At the moment, this exists for a specific category to mute for all users but the only problem is that we need to change the current topic category to something specific (like “Expired”) but this is not a desired user experience.

Thank you

There is no option, but we are considering making this default behavior. If stuff is default muted, anon should get that as well.

6 Likes

@sam Is this approved by your team and planned for one of the upcoming future releases?

Thank you.

Yes, it’s in my list :memo:

3 Likes

Now the default_tags_muted site setting will hide the muted topics for the anonymous users.

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/89fcb75af2b8abfd146ab9b70895db466c0d2a9d

3 Likes

Thanks so much @vinothkannans :clap:

How do I get the latest changes to reflect on my docker discourse instance?

Go to the /admin/upgrade page and upgrade to the latest version.

I tested it and it is still broken for anonymous users (Not logged in users). The muted topic still shows up in the /latest :frowning:

I upgraded to the latest commit using the command line because /admin/upgrade page shows blank:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commits/0967ce478d85ad5053522944b36ed9212f867457

Muted tag in my admin settings:

Could you pls check.

Thanks.

@Moksh I added an another fix. It should work now.

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/618a7ecb35828e562b73aeadeb1b80c89c154e5d

4 Likes

Thank you so much. It works as expected.

3 Likes