Net::SMTPServerBusy exception

I was trying to download website backups from /admin/backups and I cannot receive download emails. After checking production.log I found following output

Started PUT "/admin/backups/xxx.tar.gz" for 203.18.50.6 at 2023-05-08 05:34:50 +0000
Processing by Admin::BackupsController#email as */*
  Parameters: {"id"=>"xxx.tar.gz"}
start
  Rendered text template (Duration: 0.0ms | Allocations: 1)
Completed 200 OK in 658ms (Views: 3.7ms | ActiveRecord: 0.0ms | Allocations: 11718)
  Rendered layouts/email_template.html.erb (Duration: 2.6ms | Allocations: 36)
Job exception: Net::SMTPServerBusy

fail

There’s also similar errors related to SMTP, such as below

start
  Rendered user_notifications/digest.html.erb within layouts/email_template (Duration: 26.5ms | Allocations: 3067)
  Rendered layout layouts/email_template.html.erb (Duration: 35.6ms | Allocations: 3335)
  Rendered user_notifications/digest.text.erb (Duration: 19.6ms | Allocations: 2594)
Job exception: Net::SMTPServerBusy

Job exception: unexpected return

fail

The site was migrated from an old other site, and there’re many users email formatted as
909471255bcde5900c628c6@email.invalid

Can someone give me a clue what’s the cause of the issue and how can I resolve that?

Something is wrong with your smtp server. You’ll need to fix it.

Those users had invalid (perhaps empty) email addresses, so the import script created a bogus one. There’s not much you can do to fix that.

Turns out it’s related to my SMTP server. After verifying it with ./discourse-doctor and resolved the SMTP errors. I can send emails now and those queued emails are sent as well.

Thanks your always help @pfaffman

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.