New Emoji picker feedback

Another minor problem, the tooltips on the left nav are quite wrong… the tooltips should be overridden so they are not the emoji name, but the name of the emoji grouping subsection:

4 Likes

Nope, no actions taken except for keyboard screen-shot hotkey.

CloudApp

This is using regular 3G throttling with cache disabled (100ms delay/750kb/s). So your numbers look like you are on a bad 2G kind of network.

And this is on regular 2G (300ms delay, between 250kb/s and 50kb/s)

CloudApp

It’s still FAR from being as slow as your numbers.

Give it some thought this morning and the only explanation I could find is: the batch section loading code is not working on your env.

Could you please look at your network panel in dev tools of the browser, and look how many requests are done when you open the picker, it should be around 400.

Search works great now! I have just one nitpick: I think it should be case insensitive.

And I noticed a problem with loading emojis on multiple devices (Chrome 59) when I open the emoji picker the first time and no emojis are cached. Some requests get canceled when I scroll up and down during the loading. Not sure what could be causing this, but the emojis load fine when I reopen the emoji picker.

6 Likes

Ok thx for feedback @gerhard and @elijah I will go full fancy on this, we will make it awesome even on first load!

5 Likes

Fixed by:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/e2e0221dd7c74f05d9902f5462ec4a9818baaf12

I also added titles on the skin variations.

4 Likes

I just published an updated version of the picker, I have good hopes it will solve most networking issues: loading ONLY what’s on screen and limit risks of overflowing the server with too many requests, while still being very fast if you are on cache.

@gerhard also search is now case insensitive

5 Likes

I’ve just tried updating to the latest Discourse core code, and after a quick spot-check, am finding that the diversity emoji aren’t working, except for the :+1: They all emerge yellow.

Do I need to load in a new emoji set manually in the Admin page?

Hi @ChrisBeach I can‘t reproduce on your forum, can you give me more inputs please ?

Ah - I have just figured out my mistake - was expecting the first page of emoji (smilie faces etc) to be diverse.

3 Likes

Great improvement! :clap: :heart:
A quick suggestion: Adding real emoji meaning in the tooltip and keeping the emoji shortcut near the skin bar. Twitter do this I think.
And sure, localization is important!

6 Likes

@sam @codinghorror is this something we want to support ? It will mean adding to discourse codebase thousands of translation keys.

1 Like

Yeah it something I am open to supporting but I don’t want to blow up our js payloads just for this, it would have to be a separate local file loaded on demand.

I would recommend just removing “rolling on the floor laughing” hover for non english, and localizing “people”, “search” and so on for now (which will only be 10-20 strings)

People, search, tones… are already localized.

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/config/locales/client.en.yml#L1137

3 Likes

Not at this time; surely others have been there before us?

Sorry about the delay. But here it is three days later, let’s see. :grin:

Took about 25 seconds today and used about 50 requests according to Network. Today everything seemed to appear at once, instead of recently, then left hand, then others. Also most showed up with “cached” in the Transferred column:

But whatever “cached” means there, it means something different when I click the emoji selector a second time. Then the window draws with all the icons in a second or so.

It is plausible that the cached stuff was in Firefox memory that was swapped to disk. I have not restarted the browser since last week (and have left this page in this tab open since then), plus I was debugging a memory leak in program last night, so everything probably swapped out.

Alright, so I launched a new browser profile, logged in with my alt account which last logged in months ago, and anyway new browser profile (I have an alias for “firefox -ProfileManager -no-remote” since I use it often enough), and tried the emoji picker with that.

It was much faster. Like five seconds tops to load it all. So whatever slowness I’m seeing now in this browser profile is not the fault of the picker. :goodnews: It’s me, not you.

7 Likes

Great to hear! and thanks for taking the time to investigate.

2 Likes

I pushed new optimisations. When you will change diversity it won’t reload all tonable emojis, but only the visible ones. I think we are done on all the networking issues :sunglasses:

3 Likes

All looks fantastic. I assume that those of us on contracts with hosts that only deploy latest stable versions will have to wait for 1.9.0 - or is there a way to get this on our sites faster?

1 Like