New instructions for SSO setup? "enable discourse connect" setting is missing

tl;dr: Discourse SSO setup instructions don’t work on latest trial site

So i’ve created a new Discourse (hosted) site (trial mode) to serve as a sandbox to test out some updates to my client application. The client is the IDP for Discourse, and I’m trying to follow along with the Official DiscourseConnect Setup Instructions Setup DiscourseConnect - Official Single-Sign-On for Discourse (sso)

Some of the names and UI have changed slightly since the post went up, but by and large everything is fine. Except the key configuration - enable discourse connect aka enable_discourse_connect - is not available at all.

So, after configuring everything else and attempting SSO from my IDP application, I get to the session/sso page and receive a 404 ‘Oops’ message.

Is this setting hidden in trial mode? Is there some kind of restriction on this setting?

I have this working in production, based on an older version of Discourse cloud, so I know what I’m doing a little bit at least.

I just replied to your post here about the issue: Setup DiscourseConnect - Official Single-Sign-On for Discourse (sso) - #565 by simon.

Can you confirm that your sandbox site is not on Discourse’s Basic plan? Are you seeing other Discourse Connect related settings?

4 Likes

copying my reply here so that this thread will persist for anyone who runs into this in the future

yes it’s the hosted cloud version, on a sandbox, which I assume means basic.

Haven’t done much other work on the site, so sounds like it will be easier to create a new sandbox on a higher level plan.

And, yes, lots of other SSO and Discourse Settings do show up. I was able to get everything configured except this one setting.

1 Like

FYI we don’t use the term “sandbox” to refer to hosted sites, if it’s named thus it’s due to the admin selecting that name on signup.

Created a new hosted site on Standard plan, and the “Enable Discourse Setting” is there, and I’m good to go.

Thanks!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.