New site setting to hide user profiles by default

Continuing the discussion from 2.9.0.beta12: Security fix, bug fixes and more:

Thanks. Could you provide more information about that feature ?

It’s the new default hide profile and presence admin setting that sets the “Hide my public profile and presence features” on a user’s Profile/Interface page to be default enabled (thus hiding their profile and presence by default)

It was proposed in this #feature topic - Opt-in to show user profile instead of opt-out

3 Likes

Could you elaborate a bit on the meaning of “public” in this context?

Who can see the user profile if the user has not opted in?

Is there a way to show profiles only for members of shared groups or more restrictively, for shared groups that require approval?

I have explained my reasons for requests like this here:

I’m afraid it doesn’t change the behaviour of the setting in any way, only what is marked as the default.

If a user has ‘Hide my public profile and presence features’ enabled it will hide their profile and ‘x is typing’ indicator from anon and all non-staff users.

There are a couple of connected admin settings that also have an effect - allow users to hide profile and hide user profiles from public (which disables user information features for anon), but neither would limit avatar visibility.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.