'New Topic' button in locked categories

Hi,

In our forum we have different main categories with some subcategories. The main categories are locked. If you are in one of the main categories the ‘New Topic’ button is grayed out which seems to confuse our users and a few already asked if they are missing any permissions which they used to have. To make this more intuitive we would like to allow creation of topics inside the subcategories without the need to return to the main level. We also thought of creating a small dialog, which explains the “problem” and allow jumping to the sub categories instead. Leaving it grayed would only happen if also all sub categories are “locked”.

Are there any plans on improving this or has anyone experience with this issue and knows a handy workaround for this situation?

Thanks in advance

T

You can probably hide the button with CSS in your theme.

2 Likes

We have a use-case that needs this too: making topics public 3 months after they have been created.

I thought a good way to do this was to have

1. a public main category for the old posts (Everyone can See / Reply only)

2. a restricted subcategory (TL_0 can Create) with an automatic move of the posts after 3 months.

3. automatic script to move the topics from the sub to the main once creation date is 3 months or greater

The problem is that the + New Topic button in the main category is now greyed out for my logged in users. While I could simply tell them to post in the subcategory instead, I’d much rather keep it clean by:

• Replacing the greyed out + New Topic button in this category with a functional one for all logged in users which opens the composer with the desired subcategory preselected.

Any idea how I could do that?