News Plugin 📰

Yes.

In YAML, parent > child relation is based on indentation only.

So here, errors is a child of site_settings.

3 Likes

OK.

I will translate this to Spanish 
 PR coming :rocket:

https://github.com/angusmcleod/discourse-news/pull/1

4 Likes

Just fixed an ordering bug with this plugin:

https://github.com/angusmcleod/discourse-news/commit/3074c49fa30c982fec0a111bb1ae1a118fbf5f6b

6 Likes

Hi @Angus or anyone who can help :grinning:

Can I just check the use case for this plugin? Is the primary use case to be able to provide an RSS feed for others to subscribe to or be able to consume one?

For example I want to subscribe to a news RSS feed to create some regular topics on my forum. Should this work only I cant seem to get the plugin to create anything :thinking: Here are the settings for the plugin

Any help would be much appreciated.

2 Likes

Can I use this plugin to create blog with in the forum? If so, how seo gonna work with these pages?

1 Like

The link to the demo site is broken.

1 Like

Example link works no more.

1 Like

This doesn’t seem to work here, the /news route is just a standard topic list

4 Likes

Thanks for the notes guys. I’m a bit swamped atm, but I’ll try to get to your issues next week as well.

4 Likes

Awesome, thank you! I was super lost because I thought I could just install this and Topic List Previews and it would work, so hopefully that’s just a bug.

2 Likes

Same issue here. Really impressed with the concept for this plugin but it doesn’t seem to be working at the moment?

1 Like

@iczster @Pravi @bartv @Bathinda @Stanzilla @Amethi I just pushed a significant update to this plugin and have updated the first post with new links. Let me know how it goes for you.

And thanks for your patience!

4 Likes

Tried it and it looks a lot better now! Two things though, content overflows into the sidebar, and could we get a setting to not add the “News” item to the header menu? I want to put it somewhere else instead.

I tried using your bug report and feature request site but it would not let me create an account via GitHub or Google and then I gave up :smiley:

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback.

Could you share an example of this?

Could you also share an example of this? I just tried both and they’re working as expected.

Assuming you can get the signup to work, submit this one as a feature request and I’ll handle it later in the week :+1:

2 Likes

Try something like this, I sadly can’t post the exact content because secret project:

## Highlights
- Added "dddddddddddddddddddd" framework.
- The <kbd>SHIFT</kbd> + <kbd>X</kbd> hotkey ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
- **Breaking Change**:
    - `dddddddddddd` property has been deprecated. Replacement is the `dddddddddd` property. Possible values: `ddddddddddddddddddddddddddd`.
    - `dddddddddddddddddd` property has been deprecated. Replacement is the `ddddddddd` property. Possible values: ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd`.
    - `dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd` has been deprecated. Replacement is `ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd`.
    - `dddddddddddddddddddd` type has been renamed to `ddddddddddddddddd`.
    - `dddddddddddddddddt` returns the parameters `dddddddddddddddddd` instead of `ddddddddddddddddddd` to ensure consistency with other events.
    - In both changes, old code will continue to work but may produce deprecation warnings.

dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd;

- ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd:
            - `dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd` -> `ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd`
            - `dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd` -> `ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd`
        - ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd:
            - `dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd` -> `ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd`
            - `ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd` -> `dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd`
- A lot of bug fixes!
3 Likes

Thanks, I’ve tweaked the CSS to deal with wide code blocks in the news feed.

https://github.com/paviliondev/discourse-news/commit/4934522456302fc7c2b7e37ad0e9b06c784f9a90

5 Likes

Wonderful! I noticed that code block syntax highlighting is not working as well. Shall I continue your reporting my findings in here or would you prefer your website? (I got the login working by just using my email instead)

1 Like

@angus were “Comments” added to the v0.2 of this New Plugin?

We have a completely free/open forum and I want to feature an RSS news feed of relevant news articles to our community members, and most importantly, allow them to talk about the article. News is great. But the conversation around the news is the best part
 encouraging civilized discussion around the latest news in our industry.

Is there a way to add comment functionality? Like tying in the work that’s been done here?

2 Likes

Just to clarify, you’re saying you’d like the RSS news feed to import the RSS topics into Discourse?

Adding comment functionality means having a Discourse topic for each news item.

6 Likes

Yes! Maybe this already exists or there is a workaround. I might be using the wrong terms. Maybe RSS isn’t the best approach ¯_(ツ)_/¯ Here’s the use case, and maybe you can help me translate it into “what I’m actually needing”
 and I’ll add one variation from my last message

We want to have articles automatically coming into our community “News” category, as individual new Discourse Topic for each news article. This would be the main content, and then users could click a link or somethinbg to “Read more
” or “Keep reading” which would take them to the news source, and then beneath that OP topic, users would be able to comment and discuss the news article.

@codinghorror gave some great sentiment here, which makes me think
 we don’t want EVERY news article from the RSS feed to be automatially posted. We want them to automatically come into discourse, but maybe create a “Draft” or “hidden” topic that cannot be seen. Then our inner circle of moderators could determin which articles they want to toggle as visible to the community (or publish it). They could also delete the articles that feels spammy and that they don’t think people will like.

Thoughts?

3 Likes