No activation email

Hello,

I have setup a digitalocean discourse docker instance. Setup went just smooth, however… I can’t seem to get the account creation working because I don’t get a verification email.

My settings are the following

DISCOURSE_SMTP_ADDRESS: smtp.strato.de
  DISCOURSE_SMTP_PORT: 465
  DISCOURSE_SMTP_USER_NAME: no-reply@celesto.graphics
  DISCOURSE_SMTP_PASSWORD: "xxx"
  DISCOURSE_SMTP_ENABLE_START_TLS: true           # (optional, default true)
  DISCOURSE_SMTP_DOMAIN: celesto.graphics.com
  DISCOURSE_NOTIFICATION_EMAIL: no-reply@celesto.graphics

I tried testing the connection with

telnet smtp.strato.de 465

Trying 81.169.145.133...
Connected to smtp.strato.de.
Escape character is '^]'.

I don’t know how I could proceed… a helping would be appreciated.

1 Like

There’s this about port 465 in Troubleshooting email on a new Discourse install if that’s any help?

1 Like

The thing is that it didn’t work with 587, so I tried 465 and nothing changed…

1 Like

A question, perhaps very obvious to many, but sometimes the simple things are the ones that go unnoticed.
Have you already added within Digital Ocean (DO), the domain name (talk.example.com) and adjusted the firewall to open the necessary port? Also, do not forget that within the firewall you must add the droplet where you installed “discourse” .

3 Likes

Hi, thanks for the reply.

So what I did is, I created the droplet and created a new A record at my domain provider and added the ip of my droplet.

Adding a domain to my droplet is necessary for this email setup? If so, can you guide me a little, where exactly can I add the domain for example? And what needs to be added to the firewall.

I am not that experienced with this kind of stuff.
Thanks anyway!

1 Like

Don’t worry, I’ll try to guide you as best as possible, I’m not an expert on the subject, but so far my email works without problems, personally I use “sendiblue”, because it was the only one that allowed me to use an account without going through filters that others put.
In short, the section that I mention is in “networking”.

1 Clic on Networking
2 Enter your domain “example.com” NOT "talk.example.com
3 Choose the project

Personally, it was necessary for me to add and manage the domain name from “DO”, since Sendinblue asked me to add some dns values to verify domain ownership, just like google for user registration.

3 Likes

Thank you for the reply!

Yeah I did that.

Another thing. I tried sending a test mail via the admin cp, and it gave me this

brave_C6ggR32h23

I entered my Google Mail as recipient to test. So the email wasn’t sent, as it seems. This is weird.
So I can’t send emails. Which would also explains, why I cannot receive the activation mail.

2 Likes

I forgot, have you already opened port 587 through the firewall?
The same within the network you do.

Networking/Firewalls/Create Firewall

1 Name (example: Firewall of my forum)
2 New rule, select “Custom”.

3 Custom
4 TCP
5 587
6 Custom
7 UDP
9 587

9 Select the dropplet where you want aply the rules.

And finally click on “CREATE FIREWALL”.

2 Likes

I am not sure what solution was working now, but I realized that I had the wrong config setup.

DISCOURSE_SMTP_DOMAIN: celesto.graphics.com

My domain had 2 TLDs in that setup, the .com was not needed.

Anyway, I receive the emails now just fine.

2 Likes

You don’t need to open port 587 inbound to make an outbound connection to send email.

Discourse doesn’t operate a mail server by default, creating that rule exposes port 587 on the host.

2 Likes

Thanks, how i said, im not expert, thank you very much for clarifying.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.