[Noob] Need help installing Discourse on WAMP as a subdomain to a WordPress localhost

Hi!

Sorry I’ve been looking around trying to figure this out but I’m new to web development. So I installed WAMP and got WordPress running smoothly on the local server. I wanted a forum for the site, but bbPress wasn’t cut out for it so I decided to try Discourse and I’ve ran into a wall!

I managed to set up a sub-domain (forum.localhost.com) using some guide with VirtualHost. But I don’t know how to go somewhere to install Discourse. I’ve read that it’s recommended to use Linux, but I’m using Windows 7 and I’ve already started everything on WAMP and this localhost and WordPress.

I basically want: www.localhost.com -> Wordpress
forum.localhost.com -> Discourse

But I’m on Windows using WAMP.

Can someone set me in the right direction please? Any help appreciated! Thank you!

Regards,

It’s great that you’ve figured out WAMP and Wordpress. Congratulations!

Discourse uses an entirely different framework that is a good deal more complicated to figure out. The easiest way is to pay $10/month to Digital Ocean. It’s possible to get a Docker install working under Windows, but it’s a bit more complicated. The instructions for installing it are here.

Welcome to our community!

8 Likes