Notification sounds!

Is there a way to add sound effect when there’s new notification on inactive page?
Fun fact - sounds are very powerful tool to develop user addiction! :smile: Science dudes says that people gets dopamine release when they hear sound of new incoming message. Brain reacts on it as on reward. This specially works great on kids! :laughing: So whaddya say, let’s turn some kids into dopamine junkies while they’re young, as they do in tobacco industry?

7 Likes

If it was optional it might be a good idea.

At home I don’t care if there are beeps, buzzes, or Bohemian Rhapsody coming out of the speakers.

But for those in quieter places - school, library, work etc. the dopamine rush they get might not be from pleasure.

2 Likes

This is probably plugin territory. I’m personally not fond of any sounds since they interfere with my youtube habits. Especially when I have it cranked up due to listening to a soft-spoken video and then hear a massively-loud ding that scares me into the ceiling.

I DO however suggest Google chrome notifications. I know NodeBB has that option. But again, probably plugin material.

2 Likes

That would be from adrenaline. Dopamine, if they have ADD, heh.

2 Likes

It should be very soft sound like in Skype, not loud and annoying one like in ICQ. I like sound on vk.com, it doesn’t explode your ears even if your volume is high.

3 Likes

+1 for making it optional.

Personally, I hate unnecessary sounds, and far from getting me addicted to a site, they’d be far more likely to drive me away for ever if I had no obvious way to disable them.

1 Like

is there any chance this feature becomes alive? especially with great experience of discourse for mobile and with previous works on the feature.

3 Likes

I am groaning quite a lot at this, I get that some people like this but noise can be so so distracting and evil.

I am not :fire: against adding this as an option default off… but … groan groan groan at wanting to add this. If we have a few customers nag as for this I guess we will add it to the roadmap.

6 Likes

you are right, a sound for every notification can be really distracting!

but what about a once-twice beep on a daily basis? something like the digest email which works great for desktop users:

once a day mobile-user hears a sound saying discourse! which reminds him that today he hasn’t gone to the forum. it is optional and the timing of the beep can also be tuned by the user himself.

Hi I would like this as a feature. Just add a switch to turn it on / off.

1 Like

+1, people who doesn’t want the sound can turn it off.

This is already possible thanks to our PWA compliant app. I just customized the notification sound for Meta in my phone.

1. Long press on the Meta app icon
  2. Tap on the :information_source: icon
  3. Tap Notifications
  4. Tap General
  5. Tap Sound and pick your favorite one!
4 Likes

Hi happy birthday to you first of all! :birthday:

I’ve tried on my Huawei Mate 20 Pro with chrome, brave, firefox, and the generated App through these browsers. Besides the “Remove” icon after long press the App icon on the screen I could’t find any other icons like yours.

was i might be doing anything wrong?

2 Likes

Try to go to Settings → Apps → Meta (or your site)

Then follow this:

2 Likes

Hi thanks for your prompt reply. I’ve followed your guide and finished the sound setting and allowed all notifications, but it’s weird that i still got no sound notification with tests. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I’m currently using Huawei Mate 20 Pro.

1 Like

Welp, it works just fine on vanilla Android + Pixel launcher, so it must be something broken in the Huawei customization :thinking:

Either way nothing we can do as the feature works as expected.

2 Likes