Notification sounds!

(Maestro Magnifico) #1

Is there a way to add sound effect when there’s new notification on inactive page?
Fun fact - sounds are very powerful tool to develop user addiction! :smile: Science dudes says that people gets dopamine release when they hear sound of new incoming message. Brain reacts on it as on reward. This specially works great on kids! :laughing: So whaddya say, let’s turn some kids into dopamine junkies while they’re young, as they do in tobacco industry?

Babble - A Chat Plugin [ARCHIVE]
(Mittineague) #2

If it was optional it might be a good idea.

At home I don’t care if there are beeps, buzzes, or Bohemian Rhapsody coming out of the speakers.

But for those in quieter places - school, library, work etc. the dopamine rush they get might not be from pleasure.

This is probably plugin territory. I’m personally not fond of any sounds since they interfere with my youtube habits. Especially when I have it cranked up due to listening to a soft-spoken video and then hear a massively-loud ding that scares me into the ceiling.

I DO however suggest Google chrome notifications. I know NodeBB has that option. But again, probably plugin material.

That would be from adrenaline. Dopamine, if they have ADD, heh.

(Maestro Magnifico) #5

It should be very soft sound like in Skype, not loud and annoying one like in ICQ. I like sound on vk.com, it doesn’t explode your ears even if your volume is high.

(TechnoBear) #6

+1 for making it optional.

Personally, I hate unnecessary sounds, and far from getting me addicted to a site, they’d be far more likely to drive me away for ever if I had no obvious way to disable them.