Notifications are coming again even after reading them [Private Topics plugin]

Hello, I am using 3.2.0.beta4-dev version (self-hosted) and at this commit. After the updates users have started experiencing double/triple notifications on the UI. (I am talking about Discourse UI not e-mail etc.)

Even after you click and read, the notifications sometimes come back. I am having those issues as well. I don’t know how to troubleshoot this or provide helpful log. I wanted to share this maybe if this is a global issue or on my instance?

I suspect that’s a ram issue, how much RAM does your discourse instance have?

I’m assuming you mean ‘Discourse UI’?

Okay but this server has been active for almost 2 months, this issue didnt appear before. Right now on my server we have 4 Gigs of Ram and half of it is empty. 2 Gigs of swap is empty as well.

I am thinking maybe the update did it but maybe the extensions did it. I am not sure. I guess next step I am going to take will be disabling all the extensions and see if it helps.

Yes I have included a picture in my first post. I mean Discourse UI notifications.

I have disabled bunch of extensions and still the problem persists. Any thoughts or is it possible I can downgrade to the 3.2.0.beta3-dev version? Thanks.

Hello again, I know nobody has to help and this is a community forum and of course I am not a paying customer but this bug is getting really frustrating both for me and users. We have created a community 2 months ago thanks to Discourse where we have 458 active monthly users. But ever since this bug happened to us (20 days ago) I tried everything I can. It’s quite bad for user experience and now I am trying to find scripts to migrate to Flarum or some other forum platform. Just look at this:

output

Users get the same notification again and again and again. They get the notifications from 20 days ago, 5 days ago or whenever really. Even when you dismiss all notifications you’ll get same notification again after a couple of hours and there is no way of fixing this!

Again I know where I stand, this is a community platform. I don’t have a right to complain but if nobody will help after this post even if it means all of our previous posts and topics will be deleted (1.2 thousand topics and 12.7 posts) we’ll have to go elsewhere…

Just as a note I was an advocate of Discourse. I have created videos about it on my YouTube channel. Turkish communities usually use outdated forums and I had great experience using Discourse before so after opening my own forum I wanted people to know this software.

Anyways I really don’t want to lose all other people’s solutions and work on our current forum. So I kindly ask for your help again. Thank you.

Just out of curiosity, can you find anything in common between the posts that have repeating notifications?

1 Like

From what I understand it is different for each user. But they repeat. On my account I get the same notifications again and again. Although this doesn’t happen on posts before 21 days ago which we did an update 3.2.0beta4 and also I have added extensions to our forum.

Initially I thought extensions triggered this so I have disabled all extensions but it didn’t solve the problem. On a side note maybe I should delete them and rebuild completely? I don’t know.

Then I thought it was because of the beta4. Then I downgraded to beta3 where we didn’t had the problem but it still persisted.

Unfortunately, we haven’t had any other reports of this so it’s difficult to pinpoint what’s happening on your site. Do you have a standard install?

Is there anything in your /logs or /sidekiq page that may provide more information?

Yes. Disabling may not completely remove the problem piece. But which plugins did you recently install? We may be able to tell if one has had problems reported.

2 Likes

Yes I understand it is hard to pinpoint. That’s why I hoped it would go away after a while but it didn’t.

I think I am having the same problem as this: Users getting notifictations from long ago

Yes I have a standart install but only difference is I am behind Cloudflare. You might think this is because of Cloudflare but before we didn’t had such issue. I don’t think it’s likely.

I couldn’t find anything related to notifications but I am not an expert on this so let me share a quick bit of it maybe your eyes will catch something

Warnings:

MaxMindDB (/var/www/discourse/vendor/data/GeoLite2-ASN.mmdb) could not be found: No such file or directory @ rb_sysopen - /var/www/discourse/vendor/data/GeoLite2-ASN.mmdb
Deprecation notice: `SiteSetting.anonymous_posting_min_trust_level` has been deprecated. Please use `SiteSetting.anonymous_posting_allowed_groups` instead. (removal in Discourse 3.3) At /var/www/disc
Failed to send push notification : WebPush::Unauthorized : host: fcm.googleapis.com, #<Net::HTTPForbidden 403 Forbidden readbody=true> body: the VAPID credentials in the authorization header do not co
Deprecation notice: `SiteSetting.anonymous_posting_min_trust_level` has been deprecated. Please use `SiteSetting.anonymous_posting_allowed_groups` instead. (removal in Discourse 3.3) At /var/www/disc
Failed to handle exception in exception app middleware : ArgumentError : Empty list of attributes passed
Failed to handle exception in exception app middleware : ArgumentError : Empty list of attributes passed
DiscoTOC theme/component is throwing errors: TypeError: Cannot read properties of null (reading 'en')
Failed to send push notification : WebPush::Unauthorized : host: updates.push.services.mozilla.com, #<Net::HTTPUnauthorized 401 Unauthorized readbody=true> body: {"code":401,"errno":109,"error":"Unaut
Failed to handle exception in exception app middleware : ActiveRecord::RecordNotUnique : PG::UniqueViolation: ERROR: duplicate key value violates unique constraint "index_topic_tags_on_topic_id_and_t
Failed to process hijacked response correctly : EOFError : end of file reached
MaxMindDB (/var/www/discourse/vendor/data/GeoLite2-City.mmdb) could not be found: No such file or directory @ rb_sysopen - /var/www/discourse/vendor/data/GeoLite2-City.mmdb
MaxMindDB (/var/www/discourse/vendor/data/GeoLite2-ASN.mmdb) could not be found: No such file or directory @ rb_sysopen - /var/www/discourse/vendor/data/GeoLite2-ASN.mmdb
Failed to send push notification : WebPush::ResponseError : host: web.push.apple.com, #<Net::HTTPBadRequest 400 Bad Request readbody=true> body: {"reason":"VapidPkHashMismatch"}
discourse-gifs theme/component is throwing errors: TypeError: Cannot read properties of null (reading 'en')
DiscoTOC theme/component is throwing errors: TypeError: Cannot read properties of null (reading 'en')
MaxMindDB (/var/www/discourse/vendor/data/GeoLite2-City.mmdb) could not be found: No such file or directory @ rb_sysopen - /var/www/discourse/vendor/data/GeoLite2-City.mmdb
Failed to send push notification : WebPush::Unauthorized : host: updates.push.services.mozilla.com, #<Net::HTTPUnauthorized 401 Unauthorized readbody=true> body: {"code":401,"errno":109,"error":"Unaut
Sidekiq is consuming too much memory (using: 558.27M) for 'btt.community', restarting
Failed to send push notification : WebPush::PushServiceError : host: updates.push.services.mozilla.com, #<Net::HTTPBadGateway 502 Bad Gateway readbody=true> body: {"code":502,"errno":903,"error":"Bad
Deprecation notice: `SiteSetting.min_trust_level_for_here_mention` has been deprecated. Please use `SiteSetting.here_mention_allowed_groups` instead. (removal in Discourse 3.3) At /var/www/discourse/
Deprecation notice: Jobs::Chat::NotifyMentioned was enqueued with argument values which do not cleanly serialize to/from JSON. This means that the job will be run with slightly different values than t
Deprecation notice: Jobs::Chat::NotifyWatching was enqueued with argument values which do not cleanly serialize to/from JSON. This means that the job will be run with slightly different values than th
Deprecation notice: Jobs::Chat::NotifyMentioned was enqueued with argument values which do not cleanly serialize to/from JSON. This means that the job will be run with slightly different values than t
Deprecation notice: Jobs::Chat::NotifyWatching was enqueued with argument values which do not cleanly serialize to/from JSON. This means that the job will be run with slightly different values than th

Errors:

Job exception: Net::ReadTimeout
Job exception: Net::SMTPAuthenticationError
(google_oauth2) Authentication failure! csrf_detected: OmniAuth::Strategies::OAuth2::CallbackError, csrf_detected | CSRF detected
(github) Authentication failure! csrf_detected: OmniAuth::Strategies::OAuth2::CallbackError, csrf_detected | CSRF detected
(discord) Authentication failure! csrf_detected: OmniAuth::Strategies::OAuth2::CallbackError, csrf_detected | CSRF detected
default: Failed to pull hotlinked image (https://btt.community/uploads/default/optimized/2X/9/9394498c413ffd7cefbee2461a83d1a66b3b499c_2_690x388.jpeg) post: 10185 PG::UniqueViolation: ERROR: duplicat
Job exception: ERROR: duplicate key value violates unique constraint "pg_type_typname_nsp_index" DETAIL: Key (typname, typnamespace)=(gamification_leaderboard_cache_1_all_time_1, 2200) already exist
(google_oauth2) Authentication failure! invalid_credentials: OAuth2::Error, invalid_grant: Bad Request { "error": "invalid_grant", "error_description": "Bad Request" }
Job exception: end of file reached
(github) Authentication failure! csrf_detected: OmniAuth::Strategies::OAuth2::CallbackError, csrf_detected | CSRF detected
(twitter) Authentication failure! invalid_credentials: OAuth::Unauthorized, 401 Unauthorized
(google_oauth2) Authentication failure! csrf_detected: OmniAuth::Strategies::OAuth2::CallbackError, csrf_detected | CSRF detected
Job exception: wrong number of arguments (given 0, expected 1)
(discord) Authentication failure! csrf_detected: OmniAuth::Strategies::OAuth2::CallbackError, csrf_detected | CSRF detected

Fatal:

ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid (PG::UndefinedTable: ERROR: relation "categories" does not exist LINE 1: SELECT "categories"."id" FROM "categories" LEFT JOIN categor...
ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid (PG::UndefinedTable: ERROR: relation "user_auth_tokens" does not exist LINE 1: SELECT "user_auth_tokens".* FROM "user_auth_tokens" WHERE ((...
ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid (PG::UndefinedTable: ERROR: relation "user_auth_tokens" does not exist LINE 1: SELECT "user_auth_tokens".* FROM "user_auth_tokens" WHERE ((...
Regexp::TimeoutError (regexp match timeout) lib/crawler_detection.rb:38:in `match?' lib/crawler_detection.rb:38:in `crawler?' lib/middleware/anonymous_cache.rb:129:in `is_crawler?' (eval):2:in `__comp
ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid (PG::InFailedSqlTransaction: ERROR: current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction block ) lib/post_action_creator.rb:295:in `rescue in creat
NoMethodError (undefined method `title' for nil:NilClass) app/models/reviewable_queued_post.rb:166:in `perform_revise_and_reject_post' app/models/reviewable.rb:331:in `public_send' app/models/reviewab
ArgumentError (Empty list of attributes passed) lib/plugin/instance.rb:522:in `block in on' lib/discourse_event.rb:12:in `block in trigger' lib/discourse_event.rb:12:in `trigger' app/models/post_mover
ArgumentError (Empty list of attributes passed) lib/plugin/instance.rb:522:in `block in on' lib/discourse_event.rb:12:in `block in trigger' lib/discourse_event.rb:12:in `trigger' app/models/post_mover
NoMethodError (undefined method `title' for nil:NilClass) app/models/reviewable_queued_post.rb:166:in `perform_revise_and_reject_post' app/models/reviewable.rb:331:in `public_send' app/models/reviewab
ArgumentError (Empty list of attributes passed) lib/plugin/instance.rb:521:in `block in on' lib/discourse_event.rb:12:in `block in trigger' lib/discourse_event.rb:12:in `trigger' app/models/post_mover
ActiveRecord::RecordNotUnique (PG::UniqueViolation: ERROR: duplicate key value violates unique constraint "index_topic_tags_on_topic_id_and_tag_id" DETAIL: Key (topic_id, tag_id)=(2907, 1) already e

For sidekiq I don’t know where to look exactly. Isn’t sidekiq handling e-mails? Does it have anything to do with notifications?

Okay I will try to uninstall every one of them and rebuild in the meantime.

Here are the extensions I installed before this problem started (it started the exact day):

• Who’s Online
  • Cakeday
  • Signature
  • Adsense
  • ActivityPub (I deleted this completely and rebuilt since I couldnt disable this)

As a theme component:

• GIF

EDIT: I forgot to add couple more of them

• Discourse Private Topics
  • Discourse Force Moderation

I could be wrong, but that’s a theme component, right?

Yes true it’s a theme component at this point I don’t know what’s what so I included it anyways. :smile:

1 Like

Sidekiq handles all the background jobs, including notifications. You do have an eclectic mix of errors in there :slight_smile: I think I recognise a few that have since been fixed so shouldn’t reoccur after you perform a rebuild/update. Though I do see:

Sidekiq is consuming too much memory (using: 558.27M)

Which may be forcing it to retry jobs (including sending out notifications again) Could you click on that one and see if there’s more info?

2 Likes

Oh I see if that’s the case indeed that might be the problem.

On the left side it’s the count right? So it happened 10 times.

Here are all the times it happened:

8 Sep 6:55 pm
25 Sep 9:44 pm
4 Oct 9:53 pm
10 Nov 2:26 am (Problem started in 9 November)
11 Nov 11:37 am
11 Nov 1:37 pm
23 Nov 6:43 pm
25 Nov 6:59 pm
Su 7:32 am
Mo 1:12 pm

But the thing is we have 4 Gigs of ram and 2 Gigs of SWAP I never see it used more high than this:

And the picture I just took it right now. So maybe this happens when user’s are in peak or if that’s not the case maybe I need to increase the threshold of Sidekiq?

INFO:

Sidekiq is consuming too much memory (using: 558.27M) for 'btt.community', restarting

BACKTRACE:

config/unicorn.conf.rb:164:in `check_sidekiq_heartbeat'
config/unicorn.conf.rb:244:in `master_sleep'
unicorn-6.1.0/lib/unicorn/http_server.rb:295:in `join'
unicorn-6.1.0/bin/unicorn:128:in `<top (required)>'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/bin/unicorn:25:in `load'

/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/bin/unicorn:25:in `<main>'

env:

hostname	dc-app, [dc-discourse]
process_id	1215943
application_version	a55f924e279b45b81e69e720faeb38284aed90d4
time	Mo 1:12 pm

I know, this isn’t proving anything, but I have same error every day few times[1] and anything similar what OP is experiencing isn’t happening at my end.

1. because fixing it sounds too demanding and expensive ↩︎

2 Likes

On a second look I also see some errors that might be related to this:

1st:

Message (109 copies reported)

Deprecation notice: Jobs::Chat::NotifyMentioned was enqueued with argument values which do not cleanly serialize to/from JSON. This means that the job will be run with slightly different values than the ones supplied to `enqueue`. Argument values should be strings, booleans, numbers, or nil (or arrays/hashes of those value types). (deprecated since Discourse 2.9) (removal in Discourse 3.0) 
At /var/www/discourse/plugins/chat/lib/chat/notifier.rb:355:in `notify_mentioned_users`

Backtrace

/var/www/discourse/lib/discourse.rb:1030:in `deprecate'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/base.rb:371:in `enqueue'
/var/www/discourse/plugins/chat/lib/chat/notifier.rb:355:in `notify_mentioned_users'
/var/www/discourse/plugins/chat/lib/chat/notifier.rb:78:in `notify_new'
/var/www/discourse/plugins/chat/app/jobs/regular/chat/process_message.rb:42:in `block in execute'
/var/www/discourse/lib/distributed_mutex.rb:53:in `block in synchronize'
/var/www/discourse/lib/distributed_mutex.rb:49:in `synchronize'
/var/www/discourse/lib/distributed_mutex.rb:34:in `synchronize'
/var/www/discourse/plugins/chat/app/jobs/regular/chat/process_message.rb:7:in `execute'

2nd:

Message (109 copies reported)

Deprecation notice: Jobs::Chat::NotifyWatching was enqueued with argument values which do not cleanly serialize to/from JSON. This means that the job will be run with slightly different values than the ones supplied to `enqueue`. Argument values should be strings, booleans, numbers, or nil (or arrays/hashes of those value types). (deprecated since Discourse 2.9) (removal in Discourse 3.0) 
At /var/www/discourse/plugins/chat/lib/chat/notifier.rb:367:in `notify_watching_users`

Backtrace

/var/www/discourse/lib/discourse.rb:1030:in `deprecate'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/base.rb:371:in `enqueue'
/var/www/discourse/plugins/chat/lib/chat/notifier.rb:367:in `notify_watching_users'
/var/www/discourse/plugins/chat/lib/chat/notifier.rb:79:in `notify_new'
/var/www/discourse/plugins/chat/app/jobs/regular/chat/process_message.rb:42:in `block in execute'
/var/www/discourse/lib/distributed_mutex.rb:53:in `block in synchronize'
/var/www/discourse/lib/distributed_mutex.rb:34:in `synchronize'
/var/www/discourse/plugins/chat/app/jobs/regular/chat/process_message.rb:7:in `execute'

3rd:

Message (29888 copies reported)

Backtrace

/var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-private-topics/plugin.rb:20:in `get_filtered_category_ids'
/var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-private-topics/plugin.rb:149:in `handle'
/var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-follow/plugin.rb:131:in `block (2 levels) in activate!'
/var/www/discourse/lib/plugin/instance.rb:521:in `block in on'
/var/www/discourse/lib/discourse_event.rb:12:in `block in trigger'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/3.2.0/set.rb:511:in `each_key'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/3.2.0/set.rb:511:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/lib/discourse_event.rb:12:in `trigger'
/var/www/discourse/app/services/post_alerter.rb:205:in `after_save_post'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/regular/post_alert.rb:10:in `execute'

hostname	dc-app
process_id	190
application_version	95b7cbd8a13ec82003936ef9408ec83bc9f3c2ea
current_db	default
current_hostname	btt.community
job	Jobs::PostAlert
problem_db	default
time	We 1:55 pm

Looking at the backtrace of 3rd error looks like it is related to discourse private topics and discourse follow plugins. I am not an expert on this as I said but let me remove and rebuild this from scratch…

1 Like

After deletion of plugins and rebuild 3rd error went away but first and second deprecation notices still persists.

And the problem is not solved.

In sidekiq I see there are dozens of Jobs::PostAlert in retries section. I guess this why all of those notifications come back. But why would it go to retries in the first place if it actually sends the alert?

As you can see there are 63 pages of this. Should I kill them all?

EDIT:

Looking at the error it looks like it is triggered from discourse-private-topics and discourse-follow plugin.

And even when I deleted them since they were in retries section still sidekiq were sending those notifications. Now I killed all those retries and I am hoping the problem is solved. I’ll update it.

2 Likes

Okay that resolved the issue. So in the end Job exception: wrong number of arguments (given 0, expected 1) this issue is caused by either or both Private Topics Plugin and Discourse Follow plugins. Maybe both combined creates this issue I don’t know and I don’t think I want to find out. I am a bit traumatized here dealing with this issue for 21 days. :smile: Maybe authors of this plugin would like to know this so I am going to tag them here: @sam @RGJ

Thank you @JammyDodger @Firepup650

I guess I learned how to debug a Discourse issue and never to install more than 1 plugins at a time…

4 Likes

Thank you for getting to the bottom of this! It was indeed a problem in my private topics plugin that only happened when the follow plugin is enabled as well.

I have pushed a fix. Sorry for the traumatizing experience :wink:

3 Likes

Excellent debugging. :clap: :slight_smile: And thanks for the speedy fix @RGJ :rocket:

As this was an issue with a non-official plugin I’ll slide it out of the bug category (though won’t merge it into Private Topics Plugin as it’s a bit big for that).

Hopefully you should now be able to have both plugins installed without any notification excitement. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes