Notify on every like should be the default

No. I don’t think so. There are an overwhelming number of badges related to likes now.

also, one issue with badges is that they take up an extra row, vs:

5 Likes

Talking Sitepoint, have you changed the default there?

For when likes are received? (not the badges right?)

I can check, I doubt it though.

Edit:
Setting up a new account produced the following preferences:

What I would find more interesting is how many people have altered the default for each instance. So let’s say instance 1 has default of notify on every like, how many users changed off that setting? Instance 2 has first time a post is liked and daily, how many changed off that setting? I unfortunately do not have enough privileges at Sitepoint to run that query (otherwise I would) :frowning:

2 Likes

One thing I learned about defaults is that only extreme outliers will mess with them, this issue is too subtle to get into people’s radar

2 Likes

That’s why I like @erlend_sh’s proposal.

In my opinion most of the user won’t have a problem with too many like notifications. They simply don’t get that many likes… unless they are super famous or are part of a very large community, where higher like counts are more likely.

3 Likes

I’m assuming @cpradio answered what you really wanted to know, but just for the sake of completeness, the “like” badges are set to 10, 25 and 50 likes, the same as Meta.

1 Like

It sounds to me like everyone should stop liking @codinghorror’s posts.

2 Likes

lol If the only thing giving a Like did was send a Notification I guess members could do a favor for those that had expressed annoyance with getting many Likes and stop giving them.

But Like numbers also affect topic summaries and the Top page results.

So codinghorror could adopt an approach counter to what a forum should encourage and stop making so many good posts.

Or he could determine which members were responsible for a majority of the Likes and Mute them which might help some at risk of the Mute being seen as having been added because of some reason other than an abundance of Like Notifications.

1 Like

My experience: once I learned I get plenty of likes on a daily basis, I just turned them off altogether. Yet I’m in those 0.1% in my community who get a lot.