Number of Subcategories

Hi again,

This is my second time posting and after a really helpful discussion with other members, I’d like to once again ask a question regarding my nonprofit’s new forum. We are trying to create a space for makers to talk about COVID and share resources. We were toying around with the idea of hierarchies in a general resources category and I wanted to know if you can created subcategories in subcategories. Please see below for an example.

TL;DR: I want to do Option 2, but is that possible?

2 Likes

Also I tried on my self-hosted forum and it is not possible; I have an error message if I try to do so:

You can't nest a subcategory under another

2 Likes

At present I believe three level categories is only being used for enterprise customers. It definitely introduces a world of noise and complexity that most communities just aren’t ready for.

Could you achieve similar depth using tags?

3 Likes

Hi @Stephen and @Canapin thanks for your replies.

We are not using enterprise at the moment. We tossed around the idea of tags as a filtering method and topics, if need be this is what we will do. It would have just been nicer for our info organization to have that capability.

All the best,
Hannah

3 Likes

Do you have lots of content that people do not want to see? If not, you’re just making work.

I believe that there is a hidden site setting that needs to be enabled to turn them on.

I’ve found a really nice solution to alleviate at least some of the strain on categories is to see if you can use groups. Have you tried setting up groups yet? It is a literal work in progress, but you can see our current use of groups and steal ideas.

I’m hoping it’s called tenth_circle_of_hell