OAuth2 Basic - Legacy replies

(David Detlefsen) #1

So happy to be integrating our discourse instance with our OAuth server. Thank you.

Part 1: I was able to get our OAuth server popping up and go through the user grant flow.

For part 2, the way we GET user data is at the endpoint https://…/users and our access token in provided in the header as follows:

Authorization: Bearer {ACCESS TOKEN HERE}
Accept: application/json
Content-Type: application/json;charset=utf-8

I don’t think we provide the access token as a URL parameter. What advice can you provide?
Thanks for any help in advance.

OAuth2 Basic Support
(Robin Ward) #2

I think I could add an option to support it as an auth header like this as it seems quite common.

(David Detlefsen) #3

Let me confirm one thing… our instance happens to have a DNS entry of community.zatar.com. Would that make my DISCOURSE_HOST be community.zatar.com too?

In other words, when I register with my OAuth provider, should my entry be “http://community.zatar.com/auth/oauth2_basic/callback” or something else?

(Kane York) #4

Yup, that’s correct.

(Robin Ward) #5

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve added this HTTP header to the JSON request. I tested it with Dropbox as an OAuth2 provider and it worked great. Just get the latest version and you should be good to go!

(David Detlefsen) #6

We are using a hosted instance. Will this latest update need to be pushed to our hosted solution or is there a way for me to go get it?

(Jeff Atwood) #7

If you are hosted by us, the oAuth2 plugin should be available on all Business class hosting plans, I believe @eviltrout already enabled that for the Business container.

(Robin Ward) #8

I can confirm OAuth2 is deployed to all Business customers.

Custom provider using OpenID Connect via IdentityServer3
(Mark Zegarelli) #9

Hey Guys. Posted this question elsewhere, but wanted to get it in this thread as well.

Is there a way to adjust the size of the login window when using a custom OAuth2 provider? Default seems to be making an 800x400 window.

(Sam Saffron) #10

Don’t think so but it should be trivial to add some site settings for that.

(Stephen) #11

Would this solve our earlier query about implementing support for battlenet oauth?

(Robin Ward) #12

I haven’t looked at their implementation, but there is a good chance it could work if you set it up!

(Stephen) #13

Some of the fields the plugin requires are obvious enough, but their docs don’t give any hints as to the following:

• oauth2 user json url
  • oauth2 json user id path
  • oauth2 json username path
  • oauth2 json name path
  • oauth2 json email path

Are all of the above mandatory, or just convenient?

(Robin Ward) #14

They are required. We need a JSON endpoint to retrieve information about the user with the token. (See Part 2 in the original post for more details).

(Stephen) #15

Ok, makes sense, in which case it might not be viable, I don’t think Blizzard will return the email for starters.

(Robin Ward) #16

Oops sorry I should have been more clear – the only mandatory field is the json_user_id_path. The others are optional but you need at least one from the JSON endpoint.

(Maxim Mazin) #17

Hi,

I found that there is a piece of code that builds correct basic authorization header for token request:

def basic_auth_header
    "Basic " + Base64.strict_encode64("#{SiteSetting.oauth2_client_id}:#{SiteSetting.oauth2_client_secret}")
  end

But it looks like this code isn’t called. At least we see that our OAuth 2.0 server doesn’t receive any authorization header with the /token request. Could you please check that authorization header is actually passed to OAuth 2.0 server?

(Robin Ward) #18

It is called just a few lines before in the function that creates the token’s headers.

(Maxim Mazin) #19

Yes, that’s correct. The problem is that the method build_access_token ain’t called. And as a result the method basic_auth_header is never called either :frowning:

(Robin Ward) #20

Okay I think I’ve fixed it here, can you try the latest version of the plugin?

https://github.com/discourse/discourse-oauth2-basic/commit/27ff369904f1389216e485b4da64b59b45fef671

(It’s hard for me to test as I don’t have a provider which needs that header)