One-click browser upgrade Oops'd my Installation - How to Fix?

My one-click upgrade failed, leaving my site to display the following:

Oops

The software powering this discussion forum encountered an unexpected problem. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Detailed information about the error was logged, and an automatic notification generated. We’ll take a look at it.

No further action is necessary. However, if the error condition persists, you can provide additional detail, including steps to reproduce the error, by posting a discussion topic in the site’s feedback category.

How can I fix it?

The log shows the following:

2 ActionView::Template::Error (undefined method `client_overrides_exist?' for ExtraLocalesController:Class) /var/www/discourse/app/views/layouts/application.html.erb:23:in `_app_views_layouts_applicatio 5:21 pm
2 Failed to handle exception in exception app middleware : undefined method `client_overrides_exist?' for ExtraLocalesController:Class 5:21 pm
2 ActionView::Template::Error (undefined method `client_overrides_exist?' for ExtraLocalesController:Class) /var/www/discourse/app/views/layouts/application.html.erb:23:in `_app_views_layouts_applicatio 5:23 pm
4 ActionView::Template::Error (undefined method `client_overrides_exist?' for ExtraLocalesController:Class) /var/www/discourse/app/views/layouts/application.html.erb:23:in `_app_views_layouts_applicatio 5:26 pm
2 ActionView::Template::Error (undefined method `client_overrides_exist?' for ExtraLocalesController:Class) /var/www/discourse/app/views/layouts/application.html.erb:23:in `_app_views_layouts_applicatio 5:34 pm
2 ActionView::Template::Error (undefined method `client_overrides_exist?' for ExtraLocalesController:Class) /var/www/discourse/app/views/layouts/application.html.erb:23:in `_app_views_layouts_applicatio 5:35 pm
2 ActionView::Template::Error (undefined method `client_overrides_exist?' for ExtraLocalesController:Class) /var/www/discourse/app/views/layouts/application.html.erb:23:in `_app_views_layouts_applicatio 5:35 pm
2 Sidekiq heartbeat test failed, restarting 5:39 pm
2 ActionView::Template::Error (undefined method `client_overrides_exist?' for ExtraLocalesController:Class) /var/www/discourse/app/views/layouts/application.html.erb:23:in `_app_views_layouts_applicatio 5:41 pm
3 ActionView::Template::Error (undefined method `client_overrides_exist?' for ExtraLocalesController:Class) /var/www/discourse/app/views/layouts/application.html.erb:23:in `_app_views_layouts_applicatio 5:43 pm

I guess I should also be asking why the upgrade failed. I also couldn’t access the backup section of my admin panel.

1 Like

There was a docker problem in December that couldn’t be resolved by the upgrade. From memory, this required a rebuild.for the upgrade to 2.4.0.beta8.

Your problem may not be the same but a rebuild might work:

9 Likes

That did it! Thank you!

Also, it was a good opportunity for me to reset my root password on DigitalOcean. I couldn’t remember where I had placed it. Honestly, I was scared that I would screw something up in terminal, but it all worked out.

Again, thank you! The Discourse community is great!

5 Likes