It seems the OP of a topic can alter the title/category/tags of their topic any time, even outside of the edit window time period.
- As a TL 2 or below user, create a topic in a specific category
- Wait till edit window has expired (you may need to temporarily set the edit window to a smaller time frame)
- Refresh the page the topic is on
- Note that the edit icon for the post is missing (designating you are outside of the edit window)
- Note that the edit icon is still available on the Title/Category/Tags area
- Click on the edit icon and change the title, category, tags, whatever and save them.
Edit icon next to topic title should also disappear if the edit window has expired
Edit icon continues to appear next to topic title