Open the channel list instead of the first channel?

Hello,

Now on desktop the header chat button opens the first channel by default. (if there is no mentions replies, dms etc… on other channel). I think it would be better if this case the header button opens the channel list just like on mobile or maybe the last viewed channel?

I mean if this setting is empty: chat default channel id or maybe a separate setting to open channel list if there is no activity (mentions, replies, dms etc…) in chat channels?

2 Likes

We’re planning on changing it so that it opens to whatever channel you were last in soon!

2 Likes

With several chat channels an user will never know what shall be opened then. That can be even more confusing situation. I bet no one remember which channel was the last visited and because of that it will give an image of random acting.

1 Like

Yeah I think it maybe better to open the channel list if there is no activity on any channel. Easier to users if they can see the whole channel list and select which one they want to go.

3 Likes

On mobile, I’d like my overriden chat default channel id to make the header chat button open that channel immediately, rather than always show the channel+personal list first. If this is not the intended behavior, is there something I can change?

On mobile, it goes to the last channel you were in now.

The rationale here is that you may be chatting with someone while browsing the forum. This allows you to go back and forth between chat and forum and stay in that conversation more easily.

If you tap the chat icon again, you go to the channel index, so there’s still an easy way to get there quickly.

The chat default channel id setting may be somewhat obsolete at this point (or maybe I’m forgetting something). @joffreyjaffeux / @chapoi do you think we can/should get rid of it?

1 Like

Except on the first load of the site, right? I am always presented with the channels list the first time I open chat. On ios, my PWA reloads the site pretty often, so returning to my chat takes two taps. Setting the default channel could be my way of making it faster to jump back into our “main” chat, but I could be an edge case.

Other than the presented case in this topic, I see no other usage for it. But perhaps we can hang on to it, in case we get to a rule of 3?