Optimized images

I wonder if we can save s3 bucket space by disabling these two options?

I repeatedly tested, and it seems there is only access to the original image when these are disabled.

Does it mean discourse doesn’t generate optimized images anymore?

responsive post image sizes
create thumbnails

Disabling both will indeed reduce the number of image versions, but the disk space usage saving are not that much to be honest.

What exactly is your problem here? Do you have a decade old forum that you imported into Discourse and there are too many attachments? Or is your forum an image-centric board and you produce many uploads on a daily basis?

1 Like

Hi @Falco

Thanks for the reply.

It’s an image-centric board. About 200 to 400 images are posted per day. The S3 usage is growing like crazy.

I feel like for every image users upload, many versions are created, even after I disabled these two features. And I cannot figure out where else are the image versions being created.

I just reduced the max image size kb to 500 kb. And I’m testing other settings that can reduce the S3 consumption.

Any advice you can give me?

Are those photos, like smartphone camera pictures? If so is the image quality paramount? Or are they more like PNG image macros, or animations?

The more information you can share the better we can help you!

The images are social media content. For example, Facebook Story or Post.

They are not smartphone camera pictures. The quality isn’t very important as long as it’s clear.

Most of them are JPEG images, some are PNG.

These are some examples:

Facebook Story

Facebook Post

1 Like

Thanks for the info!

As you can see, the first image you posted was resized and compressed. You can tweak this to be more aggressive so images are even smaller.

I’d suggest:

composer media optimization image bytes optimization threshold

composer media optimization image resize dimensions threshold

composer media optimization image resize width target

Since this compression happens on the user browser, the large images never hit your servers nor S3.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions.

Let me give it a try.

1 Like