[PAID] PunBB forum to Discourse

What would you like done?

Convert large PunBB forum (approx 45k posts, 3.5k topics) to Discourse + create redirect map for old urls (ugly query strings) to Discourse urls.

When do you need it done?

ASAP.

What is your budget, in $ USD that you can offer for this task?

$500 USD for the import + redirects.

Here’s the current PunBB forum: Speak Moroccan.

5 Likes

I know you’re looking for someone to do it bit if you want it’s also possible to migrate using a tutorial already on the forums.

Yes, I will be able to do this for $500.
We can also offer you hosting but that’s optional :slight_smile:

In order to get started, please make a database dump (and if applicable, a zip file with your uploads / avatars) available via Dropbox, Google Drive, WeTransfer or similar and let me know where to find it.

3 Likes

Teddy, we had success with this tutorial up until this part:

$ bundle exec rails server

Ran the command and it just went on an endless loop outputting database info to screen. Never ran the rails server. That’s why we gave up and decided to get someone else to do it.

Thanks Richard.

How long would it take you roughly to do this?

Try UNICORN_BIND_ALL=true bundle exec rails server

We should be able to get this done before the end of the week, maybe earlier.

2 Likes

Didn’t work, Robert. Screen just dumps database info endlessly.

That means it’s running! :smiley:

I left it running for 5 hours yesterday because I thought it was running. Couldn’t proceed with it (next step was Sidekiq).

That SQL output is just info for the sys admin. It’s just the queries it’s running as part of its processes. It is endless until you stop it. That’s supposed to happen.

You are meant to proceed by connecting to it with a browser.

1 Like

I can open Sidekiq in the browser but what port is Discourse development server running on (if it is running)?

usually port 3000, but check the config

Ok so I went through the whole process again and got it up and running.

Suggestion for import tutorials: Just adding an extra comment or two to inform non-Rails guys like me what should be happening would save so much hassle. I left this running for 5 hours yesterday when all I needed to do was run Sidekiq in a separate terminal and open the browser.

So my next question is: is there a way to automatically generate an Nginx redirect map for the 45,000+ query string urls from PunBB so I can setup 301’s?

2 Likes

Not sure how to go about setting up all the 301 redirects.

The PunBB forum ID’s don’t align with the Discourse ID’s.

For example, PunBB topic url:

/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3917

Discourse url:

/t/hi-from-a-maghrebia-in-the-uk/3548

So if the importer isn’t matching ID’s properly, how can I automate the process of setting up redirects?

Also, each topic reply/post has its own ID:

/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=46394#p46394

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.