Pasting links into the title

When pasting a link into the title and forming a featured link, the title of the topic becomes text from the link, and the topic content is the link itself. Seems okay, so far.
However, this happens even without a category chosen. Usually, when no category is chosen, the user is unable to enter anything as the post content. But by pasting a link in the title, and the link being in the post content, you can now type in the post content box. I’m fairly certain this isn’t expected behaviour, since there may be templates that are limited to certain categories that users have to fill up, if they choose a category after typing the content, but the template doesn’t appear.

1 Like

I think the template in the composer is generally not a 100% reliable option. The same issue occurs when you initially select a category, enter text, and then change the category to one with a template. So when you reply as a linked topic, which adds the link to the other topic to the composer, and change the category, you won’t see the template either. And when you post in the wrong category and the topic is moved to a different category, you also don’t know that there is a template.

1 Like

I see. Is it possible, though, to make it such that it won’t load the URL of the post content until a category is made?

I’m not sure if that is the real fix here.

If you switch categories and a template is different, should we delete all of the user’s input to replace it with the new category’s template? That is rather intrusive and might be unintended.

Is the issue here with topic templates, or with featured-links? Are we finding that topics are still getting created successfully without the template filled?

Not sure what the exact bug is here so I’m switching this to support in the meantime.

Discourse has too many template options :slight_smile: Do we talk about form-templates which are used in theme feedback or the templates like the one used in support which add some text to the composer? I think the latter never forced users to fill in the template. I was referring to those templates.

1 Like

When you reply to a support topic as a linked topic the template is also shown in addition to the other text.

Continuing the discussion from Topic title:

Before asking, did you search first?‎ Press :mag: at the upper right to search.

Maybe something similar could be done when a featured link is added

1. A user adds a featured link to the title
  2. Discourse adds a onebox to the body
  3. The user chooses a category
  4. Discourse adds the template below(or above) the onebox
1 Like

The main issue here is really the fact that they can edit the content without choosing a category, and so the problem that arises is that the template is not shown.
Is it possible to not make the contnet editable until the category is chosen?