Patreon Creator's access and refresh token values are incorrect

Our Patreon plugin was working for months, but now I have the message in the admin panel “Patreon Creator’s access and refresh token values are incorrect”. This has happened before and we’ve followed the instructions and it worked again. But this time it won’t go away.

I’ve hit the “update patreon” button in the admin patreon panel. I’ve checked the rails log and can see the patreon job ran successfully. The only output is where it’s trying to award badges to old users and gets a 404 but that doesn’t seem to be a problem. I’ve also kicked the patreon jobs in /sidekiq, and again it runs successfully.

So it seems the tokens really don’t match. Unfortunately I don’t have permission to access our Patreon account. The boss copies and pastes the codes to me and I enter them in Discourse. We’ve done this twice with no joy.

Any other troubleshooting advice?

Edit: Looks like I could try the Patreon API using the same credentials. API Reference

1 Like

I got the same error using the API, so I guess it has nothing to do with Discourse. Still would be interested if anyone else has had the same issue.

import patreon
from pprint import pprint

access_token = '*** I pasted the Creator's Access Token here ***'
api_client = patreon.API(access_token)
campaign_response = api_client.get_campaigns(10)
pprint(campaign_response)

{u'errors': [{u'code': 1,
              u'code_name': u'Unauthorized',
              u'detail': u"The server could not verify that you are authorized to access the URL requested. You either supplied the wrong credentials (e.g. a bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.",
              u'id': u'b11c8833-90ee-4a21-802b-9b4dfc4882f1',
              u'status': u'401',
              u'title': u'Unauthorized'}]}
2 Likes

Hello there,
getting same error while hit the api to get campaigns:

{    "errors": [
        {
            "code": 1,
            "code_name": "Unauthorized",
            "detail": "The server could not verify that you are authorized to access the URL requested. You either supplied the wrong credentials (e.g. a bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.",
            "id": "2861b3d8-08e1-42ff-86aa-5418ce4f6656",
            "status": "401",
            "title": "Unauthorized"
        }
    ]
}

We had this problem several times when I posted earlier this year. Since then it has worked perfectly. I have no idea why, except that as previously mentioned the problem is on the Patreon end, not with Discourse. I was handicapped because I didn’t have access to the Patreon account; assuming you have access, I suggest you ask them.

Wish I could be more helpful.

2 Likes

We’re having this problem again, after working for months. I’ve refreshed the creator access token and creator refresh token in the Discourse Patreon settings, but still getting the error on the dashboard.

As mentioned above, this is not a Discourse issue but thought I’d post here in case others have the issue starting in the past couple days. Maybe there’s a pattern.

2 Likes

Thanks for following up. Did your warning ever go away on its own? Same issue here.

Update: I was able to clear this message by going to admin > plugins > Patreon
…then clicking to manually sync.

Screenshot:

1 Like