Pin categories like topics

I like that categories sorts by recent activity so far, but It would be nicer if I also could pin some of categories on top like you can do with topics. There’s gonna be a lot of categories on my forum, 50 at least (didn’t moved from phpBB yet). Some of them are dead now but we need them anyway so guests could see our early activity. And some of them are very active now and they gonna be on top. But people complaining that with Discourse their category gonna jump from 1st place to 3 or 2 all the time. I agree that it’s a bit inconvenient, so I would like to have ability to pin most active categories so they don’t jump and always stay in alphabetic or custom order.

You can change the ordering via the edit dialog for the categories. So you can specify what order they show up in.

1 Like

Does it work even when sorting by recent activity is on? If I’ll set custom order for some categories, will other categories still sort automatically by recent activity?

Unfortunately no; it is all or nothing. Either all “natural” order or all manual.

The combination was too complex for us to support and we felt admins / users would not understand it.

It works with topics and it doesn’t seem complex at all. Why same feature with categories gonnna be more complex? I can pin some of categories with JS, but it means resorting them after page have loaded, which is kindda dumb way.

Pleas tell me this thing - if I’ll create 50 categories in Discourse, will they all be shown on categories page? Or some of them will load only if you scroll down, like in case with topics?