Possible Paid Work: User Activity Notifications

I want to use Discourse as a partner to a Volunteer Management site, provided that Discourse can create custom activity notices for user profiles (who opt in) so that members who “follow” those profiles can subscribe to as notifications. The concept:

User signs up for a volunteer opportunity, and the site’s API shares this info with Discourse. Somehow the user tables are shared, or the account creation process is managed by middleware that creates two synchronized accounts.

Through this API, on Discourse, we see a notice that our friend, who we follow (list of friends) and subscribe to (see when they take actions) is going to volunteer, and so we sign up so we can go do that there as well.

Anybody ever do anything like that? I have $2,500 to get us to a proof of concept (minimum viable product) but it will be an ongoing relationship.

-Bram
845-750-2412
bram@resilientgreenfield.org

2 Likes

Sent you a PM to explore this further.

1 Like

Thank you @pfaffman and @merefield for your swift replies!

Miraculously after many fails, we just found a volunteer software solution that does what we need it to in-app, without the need for a Discourse tie-in: GivePulse.com. They are migrating to a Laravel/React platform (still hiring devs for it ) but even their current solution does everything we need.

I could foresee getting back to the Discourse tie-in at some point, but right now I think we are all set. I love Robert’s idea of using SSO to handle user data connections Thank you both for being available!

-Bram

PS The one thing GivePulse does NOT do is “following” - so if we wanted that, Discourse would be our next stop,

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.