Post Badges component

Hi @tshenry, any news about this?

1 Like

Sorry for the delayed response. It was a busy week last week and I didn’t get an opportunity to work on this component.

This is priority #1 regarding this component. Going to do my best to nail down a viable solution, hopefully this week.

Sure, I’ll work on making the badge linking a little more flexible.

This is definitely a more challenging request. I don’t think it can be done with the current limitations. I agree it would be a pretty cool feature, though. Definitely noted, but I’m not sure if/when this will happen.

9 Likes

Alright, I finally have an update :tada: Things should be in a much better place as far as server requests go (@bartv) . I’ve also added a basic setting to choose between the badge overview page and the user’s badge page for the badge links (@FoohonPie). No optional per-badge parameter yet.

Please let me know if you notice any issues. I tried to test things as best as I could, but you never know. The capabilities of themes continue to grow, so hopefully I’ll be able to continue to improve the implementation over time.

10 Likes

I just tried this out and was experiencing some heavy server load, site crashing at times.

Also getting this error in console

1 Like

Thanks for the report! I reverted the request reduction attempt for now as it was causing a different issue. This was one of those lovely “fix one thing, break another” situations. It’s proving quite challenging to get everything perfect.

I was hoping to get something in place by the weekend, but clearly there are still some kinks to work out :pensive:

9 Likes

Appreciate the response and your dedication to getting this working.

Looking forward to your fix.

1 Like

This is an essential component that should be part of the core.

Sometimes the badges show, sometimes they don’t. I haven’t found the rhyme or reason- my best guess is that they don’t show toward the end of longer topics. On refresh, they might show. Apologies if this is re-phrasing the “request reduction” issue listed above.

2 Likes

I appreciate the enthusiasm on the component!

I haven’t gotten a good opportunity to dive back into this, but it’s far from forgotten. I’ll make sure to put some time into it next week.

Edit: I think I’ve made a breakthrough with this. I’m not going to get ahead of myself again, though. I’ll make sure to do a lot of testing next week and update this topic when I have good news.

7 Likes

Alright, let’s give this another shot!

I think I’ve made it as efficient as I can at this point. I tested as many scenarios as I could think of, and it looks to be in much better shape. Please update the component from your admin dashboard and let me know if you run into any issues.

Thank you to everyone for their patience and interest with this component :heart:

11 Likes

Haven’t ran into any problems, however, I do have a suggestion! Maybe a way to display all badges instead of having to list them specifically? I’ve got a setup where people really want to display all badges they have, but I don’t like how messy it is to have to include every badge explicitly. Just an idea!

Maybe something as simple as an asterisk as a wildcard (and this opens up the opportunity to include all custom badges easily by prefixing/suffixing their names and using a wildcard to discern which badges to include).

Great work though! Extremely satisfied that someone did this (and very elegantly too).

1 Like

This is awesome! ty for creating this! :grinning: :heart:

1 Like

Works like a charm! :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Hi! greate component!

Is it possible to show only the higher trust badge? if you are a user 3, do not show user 1?

4 Likes

It is now! Great suggestion @ElForoViajero :heart:

If you update the component, you will find a new theme setting:

@wkoenig Thanks! I’ll have to think about your suggestion. I’m not sure how it would affect performance and what the layout implications would be. I’m don’t know if/when I’ll get to it, so you may want to see what you can do on your own if you are itching for that as a feature.

10 Likes

That was a great touch!
But it doesn’t work in non english locales. For example in Greek the trust level 1 is spelled as “Αρχάριος” and the css class is “archarios”. So neither the only_show_highest_trust_level setting or the drop down works.

2 Likes

Ah, you’re right! Thanks for the report. I’ll see what I can do about multi-locale support soon. It shouldn’t be too difficult to fix.

7 Likes

amazing, thanks a lot for the improvement!

1 Like

I added this an it’s not finding any of my badges even the default ones included

1 Like

Ok, let’s see if we can figure out the source of the issue! It would help to know the following:

• Are there errors in your browser’s error console?
  • Current theme settings (if you can take a screenshot of the list of badges, that would be great)
  • Browser and version
  • Discourse version
1 Like

Errors in Browser
include.preload.js:335 [Deprecation] Element.createShadowRoot is deprecated and will be removed in M73, around March 2019. Please use Element.attachShadow instead. See Chrome Platform Status for more details.
createShadowTree @ include.preload.js:335

THEME SETTINGS:

BADGES:
JUST THE DEFAULT ONES

BROWSER AND VERSION:
Chrome FOR MAC Version 75.0.3770.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Discourse Version:

Installed

v2.4.0.beta2 +261

INSTALLED: v2.4.0.beta2 +261

I can give admin iff needed I just set this up on Google Cloud using the official insatll

2 Likes