Post_liked webhook?

Hi,

We are adding Discourse as a forum to a system which tracks user actions and award points. Our system tracks content creation and interaction.

We successfully used webhooks to track post & topic creation but there doesn’t seem to be anything for post_liked and topic_liked.

Is this planned down the road? Has it been attempted but turned down out of stability/performance issues?

How easy would it be to customize webhooks?

Thanks!

4 Likes

I am kind of open to this, in other cases like flagging which is also a post action this makes total sense, cause alerting an external system when a post is flagged is super useful.

I have some concerns around load this can generate though cause there can be tons of likes.

6 Likes

I’m thinking that since webhooks on post/topics creations are passing a lot of data very often without that much impact on performance, there shouldn’t be that much issues with likes. They can happen as often as new posts and the payload is going to be smaller (post id, user id, like/unlike action, total likes).

But I could be totally wrong about it. I’ve not explored Discourse’s source much.

1 Like

I’m with Kara and am just looking into this. We track engagement stats in another system, and currently import forum activity on a monthly basis. Using a webhook for this would obviously speed things along for us.

Has a post_liked webhook ever been made available?

2 Likes

It’s been a while already and we are a big team so I don’t remember the exact solution. I believe that a custom webhook was developed by a member of our team.

1 Like

Hi,

Sorry to bump. Did you have any luck with this? I’m looking at doing something similar.

1 Like

Hello and welcome! Glad to have you here.

No, as far as I can tell this post_liked webhook never was added. I think post_liked is a fairly low value bit of information to go to the trouble of firing a webhook, tbh.

The community I was working with when I wrote that post has a procedure to periodically export activity via the data explorer plugin and then import it to their external tracking dashboard. Works quite well and allows a bit of gardening before import (e.g. to remove activity in private categories)… just isn’t immediate. :slight_smile:

That said, I haven’t played with this personally for a while. Looks like there is a “Notification event” option which might work. Users are notified when their posts are liked unless they muted the topic.

I’d suggest spinning up a discourse instance and trying it out! :slight_smile: Let us know how it goes.

2 Likes

Hi Tobias,

Thanks for the quick response!

Notification Event works, but not when a category filter is applied sadly. In a scenario where we only cared about likes in a certain category, this would be very high noise.

I’m new to Discourse but have done a bit of research and haven’t been able to find anything similar. Will have to explore deeper to see if there’s a better way of doing this.

Sorry, the topic is kinda old but it is also what I wanted to implement. Something like post_liked on OP’s post would be very helpful. Any ideas?