Post quote copy to clipboard button -- Feedback

I do wonder if we should start to consider something like a slide-up menu like chat does? Then we could put all the options (Quote, Edit, Copy, Share, Ask AI) in this menu?

However the main big downside to this is that you cannot use the native text selection and options :thinking: In chat we just offer to copy the whole message to clipboard, but we don’t want to do that for post quotes.

Maybe on mobile only we have a single “Selection options…” popup button that would then slide up the menu from the bottom?

The slide out menu could have:

• Edit
  • Copy Quote
  • Ask AI

It’s tricky because this is mostly a UI issue on mobile…

6 Likes

Is the “Copy Quote” wording helping here a bit? I worry about holding up this feature when it’s a clear improvement for people.

I think the question of “What do we do with all these buttons in the selection menu on mobile?” that Kris brings up and I have some ideas for above is a separate one. I would love to get this experiment into core soon.

2 Likes

I think the crux would be whether this is a useful feature for most people or only a handful. It does take up valuable real estate and make the UI busier/more complex for the average user. If the majority of people never use it/never need to use it then it may need some way of turning it on/off and letting people reclaim their simple menu.

6 Likes

I’ve updated the OP to explain with more depth why this is useful and who for.

The same could be said for the Ask AI button, or the Share button, or any other button we may have here. I do agree that this menu is getting a bit busy, especially on mobile, but as I said I think that’s the subject of another discussion.

3 Likes

How do you enable this?

1 Like

As the design experiment topic explains

So at the moment this is an experiment. After the experiment it can become part of core. Then you get it with your next update. If this becomes a theme component you could install it like any other theme-component.

5 Likes

Yep, I do think each button we add here does add to the noise, so we have to be somewhat mindful of what we add here.

I feel like we may be entering user preference territory with some of this stuff now.

I personally might prefer to have this new copy quote button be the only button that shows up, maybe with the rest behind ellipses.

5 Likes

Recently we also “unsuppressed” share, afaik and this has heavily increased noise as well, especially since it has magical hover behavior.

I never use Share … if I do I will use the “chain” link, I don’t need the fancy email/twitter thing ever.

I too feel like we should opt for “default simple” … power users can add noise.

So, by default, logged in get “Quote / Edit / AI” but they can fiddle with these options if they wish and construct the options they prefer via user prefs.

An alternative may be an intelligent ... implementation that stickys the last thing you used.

Last one, e for edit we should also add a keyboard shortcut I guess like the other 2 have?

7 Likes

Same, I also only use the link copy button. I also have never used the “Ask AI” button.

This is tricky, because plugins (e.g. AI) and theme components can add additional buttons, so it’s hard to have a “default simple” experience.

Maybe we have the default layout be like this:

• Quote (old quote button)
  • Edit
  • :sparkles: Last used (LocalStorage)

Where the ... menu is:

• Copy Quote
  • Ask AI
  • Send to outer space (other additional buttons)

Which also promotes the “last used” button to the top menu. This does basically take us back here for mobile though:

This becomes much more work though, so I am not sure what to do in the interim for this “Copy Quote” button :thinking: Perhaps in the meantime we could add a post_quote_menu site setting with quote|edit as the default, and additional share|copy_quote options? Then plugins would still be able to add their own buttons too.

Either this, or flip it on its head – add a post_quote_menu user preference, that allows users to specify which buttons are shown, and provide a way for plugins to cleanly register additional buttons (e.g. ask_ai)

4 Likes

I would claim sharing is the least used action webworld wide. Well, commenting is close, but because forums are based on commenting it raises sharing to top :smirk:

But Ask AI — I use it everyday. And when I teached it to my users they like it almost as much as fast edit. But is it such option that should be visible all the time? Perhaps not. But it should be near, and no, keyboard shortcuts aren’t same as near or easy access :smirk:

5 Likes

I would really love to see this. It’s an area where the usage can be very different depending on the user and having preferences make sense. I’m also very curious about the potential of creative plugins in this context.

3 Likes

This is a useful edit, it allows me to more easily quote topics without having to cut it from the composer and put it where it is supposed to be, saves lots of time. I can simply copy it to the clipboard and make it easy to use.

1 Like

Maybe a good iteration on the experiment prior to pulling out the jack hammer @martin is:

For logged in … hide share, show copy quote.

Lets see how it feels with this somewhat reduced noise.

The way the text takes two lines is particularly jarring here. Is there anything we can do? (both Copy Quote and Ask AI)

Also… how does this look in German, where the text is likely way wider ( @gerhard )

3 Likes

When “edit” is shown my smartphone is to small for the german translation. (you can see the star and two letters of “ask ai”). It works without

Or in english

6 Likes

Actually yes I know the fix for that, I will do that.

Sure, I will try and do that in the experiment…I think I should be able to. Will push this up today soon :tm:.

This is interesting – I just tried it for the first time and it’s pretty cool, but my instant habit would be to just open new tab + Google. Do you most often use it for translating things or explaining things?

6 Likes

Explaining. I’m a quite hard core user of Google, but I don’t see a point to jump around for an definition or short explanation. Sure, if I want to, or need, get deeper info then I move to Google, because AI just doesn’t work very good and looses against 20 pages of search hits and 50 open tabs :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But for searching Ask AI is very much same as fast edit is for composer.

It’s not terribly bad in German. The translation for “Copy Quote” would be “Kopiere Zitat” which isn’t a lot longer than the English string.

But the popup is starting to get long and crowded, especially on desktop. And I’m not fond of the line breaks in “Kopiere Zitat” and “KI fragen”.

2 Likes

Already being addressed:

3 Likes

@sam we recently changed the default of share_quote_visibility to all in DEV: Change share quote visibility setting default to 'all' by Drenmi · Pull Request #23720 · discourse/discourse · GitHub , so I just set it to anonymous on Meta.

I just merged a fix for the text wrapping, and also made it so Copy Quote only shows for logged in users.

3 Likes

Personally, I’m glad of the change. :slight_smile: But it was implemented as part of this topic Change "share quote visibility" default from ANONYMOUS to ALL - #3 by tobiaseigen. If it’s to be changed on here should the decision to change the default also be revisited?

3 Likes