Problem with rebuild Discourse at Docker

Hello,

I’m forced with an update problem. When I try to update Discourse via admin/upgrade page I receive information about the old Docker image.

So I try to connect to the Discourse server and update by typing the commands git pull and then rebuilding the app. But now I received the below error:

success Cleared cache.
Done in 8.44s.

I, [2022-03-08T17:16:03.605966 #1]  INFO -- : > cd /var/www/discourse && su discourse -c 'LOAD_PLUGINS=0 bundle exec rake plugin:pull_compatible_all'
I, [2022-03-08T17:16:08.549201 #1]  INFO -- : 
I, [2022-03-08T17:16:08.549823 #1]  INFO -- : > cd /var/www/discourse && su discourse -c 'bundle exec rake db:migrate'
rake aborted!
StandardError: An error has occurred, this and all later migrations canceled:

ERROR:  syntax error at or near "CASCADE"
LINE 1: ...ION IF EXISTS sync_bookmarks_polymorphic_column_data CASCADE
                                                                ^
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/rack-mini-profiler-3.0.0/lib/patches/db/pg.rb:110:in `exec'
/usr/local/bin/bundle:25:in `<main>'

Caused by:
PG::SyntaxError: ERROR:  syntax error at or near "CASCADE"
LINE 1: ...ION IF EXISTS sync_bookmarks_polymorphic_column_data CASCADE
                                                                ^
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/rack-mini-profiler-3.0.0/lib/patches/db/pg.rb:110:in `exec'

I tried updating Discourse with commented plugins section. But It didn’t help.

Searching discourse abut sync_bookmarks_polymorphic_column_data this function I only find this change in Discourse code DEV: Drop bookmark trigger correctly (#15486)

Where I can find more information about what happened? Or how to try to rebuild Discourse without the above change?

Did you skip a PostgreSQL upgrade by forcing an old version of the database in your app.yml?

I’m afraid you will need to update to our supported version by following PostgreSQL 13 update

3 Likes

Hi Rafael,

Good question! How I can skip a PostgreSQL upgrade? Is there a list of attributes I can use in app.yml?

1 Like

If you use a specific Postgresql template with a version number in it, this will skip the upgrade.

i.e. using

templates:
  - "templates/postgres.12.template.yml"

rather than

templates:
  - "templates/postgres.template.yml"

will pin the Postgres to version 12 instead of ‘latest’ which is currently PG 13.