Problems with the limited number of characters displayed in the sidebar

This topic is a follow-up to a discussion at Crowdin. Originally, I had noted that by replacing the &-sign with the word “and” in the German translation of “Login & Authentication”, the string became even longer, although “Anmeldung & Authentifizierung” was already not fully displayed in the sidebar.

As a result, the string has been shortened to “Anmeldung u. Auth.” However, this affects the filter function of the sidebar, because “Auth” still works, but “Authe”, for example, no longer does. A possible fix would be to add keywords, but that’s not optimal either, because you don’t need them in English and many other languages.

Because other strings in the sidebar are also affected, I was asked to start a topic about this. So here we are:

The first screenshot was taken using my tablet. The second and third screenshots were taken using my computer with different window sizes (full screen and about half of the screen). I focused on the strings that are too long for full screen on my computer. In the smallest version, many more strings are cut off, including some English strings.
Screenshots taken at a forum which was last updated before the proofread translations were merged.

English German
Login & Authentication[1]Screenshot_20240728_195408_Chrome image image Anmeldung & Authentifizierung Screenshot_20240728_195251_Chrome image image
Preview Summary[2] Screenshot_20240728_195427_Chrome image image Vorschau der ZusammenfassungScreenshot_20240728_195313_Chrome image image
All Site Settings[3]Screenshot_20240728_195348_Chrome image image Alle Website-Einstellungen Screenshot_20240728_195228_Chrome image image

The problem also affects admin options in the sidebar:

English German
Customize this section[4] Screenshot_20240728_201239_Chrome image image Diesen Anschnitt anpassen Screenshot_20240728_201356_Chrome image image
Configure defaults[5] Screenshot_20240728_201312_Chromeimage image Standardeinstellungen konfigurieren Screenshot_20240728_201417_Chromeimage image

In the latter case, it would probably be sufficient to remove the “Einstellungen”. There is no “settings” in English either.
In general, it is confusing that the category section does not have a link to the setting to configure the default, but the tag section has one. The community section has a button, but that doesn’t take you to a site setting like the other two. Maybe it would be better to have all configuration options in one place.

1. admin_js.admin.community.sidebar_link.login_and_authentication ↩︎

2. admin.email_settings.sidebar_link.preview_summary ↩︎

3. admin.advanced.sidebar_link.all_site_settings ↩︎

4. sidebar.sections.community.edit_section.sidebar ↩︎

5. sidebar.sections.tags.configure_defaults ↩︎

6 Likes

Thanks for opening this topic Moin, we are discussing internally now how to go ahead with this, the ... is a problem for our use case in the documentation sidebar here on Meta as well, and obviously we do not want a bad experience for other languages.

6 Likes