Provide option to choose showing full names in chat

For communities where full names are required like ours, it would be very nice to have the ability to see real names in the chat box, recent private chat list, etc. rather than username.

1 Like

in admin - settings, you need to have enable_names and display_name_on_posts enabled (checked) and then make sure prioritize_username_in_ux is disabled (unchecked). note that this also puts their full name in posts and user card and profile. you can see this in the Meta chat which shows full names :slight_smile:

if you only want to show in Chat, i’m sure some CSS can hide the full names in other places.

1 Like

All of the above is already done (double checked to be sure), but chat still shows usernames and not full names:

I wonder if it has anything to do with the custom theme we have from Discourse.

1 Like

try safe mode. i have all the above settings to test on my site and it worked just like here on meta. :thinking:

1 Like

Interesting, I see our chat as usernames and not full names:

oh that’s weird. mine is showing both usernames and names in that window as well as the chat conversations :thinking: i don’t see a user preference to override it either…

1 Like

Also odd, chat isn’t showing up as enabled (or able to be enabled) in safe mode.

1 Like

oh yea because it’s a plug in :woman_facepalming: lol doh

anyways FWIW this is what my Meta chat modal looks like. my name and username show up in chats too. this looks like a job for the team :slight_smile:

Can you show a screenshot when you hit that back arrow in the top-left? What does that window look like?

1 Like

oh hey there we go - where are the full names? :thinking:

Nowhere to be found!

1 Like