Question about anonymized usernames

Is this user also anonymized since he has the โ€œanonโ€ :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

1 Like

โ€ฆ Yes users who begin with anon seem pretty anonymized to me. Its a genreral pattern :slight_smile:image

4 Likes

I suppose there might be a remote possibility that a member gave themselves such a username, as unlikely as that would be.

If in doubt, look for an โ€œ@example.comโ€ email address.

7 Likes

Are you sure about that? Pretty sure anonymized users have a @anonymized.invalid email address.

6 Likes

Not 100% Iโ€™m going by what I know (obsolete or otherwise :blush: ) and have not recently retested this on localhost i.e. this account anonymized 2 years ago

2 Likes

Yeah, that very likely changed with all the updates to anonymization. .invalid is a domain we use for emails that should never be emailed. Yes, no one will receive emails sent to example.com, but better to not send them at all.

8 Likes

Ah yes, this account was anonymized summer 2018

Iโ€™m assuming that running some type of (pseudo)
โ€œUPDATE email SET email '/1@anonymized.invalid' WHERE email LIKE '%@example.com'โ€

query could be a good idea. If anyone has run such a command with success I would appreciate knowing what it was.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.